Hi all, I am preparing the chassis for my next TR4 rebuild, I want to check the rear end where time and gravity tends to make it drop. I have it on a flat surface which I know to be true and I want to measure the height above the surface of the very end of the chassis. has anyone got this measurement ? I have the workshop manual but it is not clear to me. 

Regards

Ron

I have looked at the Chassis Frame drawing on page 5.102 of the WSM and can appreciate your difficulty.  Everything is related to a datum YY, which is in mid-air, and it is not stated how far this datum is floating above the ground!.

Nothing is dimensioned from the ground upwards, which is what you are seeking.

Perhaps someone with a bare chassis lying on a level floor might be able to take some measurements?

The drawing is very accurate, so you could take some measurements from it and scale them

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply , I'm glad it's not just me that couldn't make head nor tail of it :). I will try to scale it as you suggest unless someone has actually done this and has the measurement. I didn't check it on my last one and it caused lots of problems.

Regards

Ron Hatch

3 1/2" above lower line at the rear end of the chassis, measured on a 3a chassis so essentially the same 

Stuart.

Stuart is correct (as ever) because, throughout its years of production, the TR4 chassis was produced by taking a TR3A chassis and adding boxes at the front to widen the track, and making the body supports protrude further outwards from the chassis side members.  Although the rear axle is wider, the spring mountings are in the same position as those on the TR3A.

I suppose it was a quick and easy way to avoid re-designing the chassis at a time when Triumph was in dire straits financially and Leyland had taken over.

Ian Cornish