cellulose over Bondarust

Clarification sought on the rules on overpainting within 1 day or wait 7 days. Currently DIY repainting my rebuild TR4A. Have used Bondarust successfully so far leaving it for the 7 day required time before overpainting with cellulose. Couldn't find the answer when searching so excuse this question.

I understand the need for getting a coat of primer/filler on within 1 day but do I also need to do the top coat as well within one day or can I do this top coat after say a 3 day gap or will this remelt the cellulose primer and also the bondarust underneath and cause wrinkles. 

Many thanks, David B

Bondarust can be left for a considerable length of time before recoating without problems so get everything coated with that and leave for a week is best. Then with cellulose primer I would still leave that for at least a week as it does sink back quite a lot so unless your repairs are spot on you will see them in the top coat. Then overpaint with top coat. I know back in the old days we used to prime one afternoon come in the next morning and flat off then paint that afternoon and then flat and polish the next day but if you looked at it a few months later you could see where it had sunk back. Fine if you put enough paint on then you could flat and polish it again and it would then be fine. Never wax fresh painted cars for 6mths after if using cellulose anyway to allow all the solvents to come out. (Yes I know the back street garages use to paint wet on wet in other words prime it and when it had just flashed off then topcoat it straight away but thats just a bodge to get them out the door with their unique "Off the premises guarantee!" ^_^:lol::lol:)

Stuart.

Stuart, Many thanks for response and advice. 

I have chosen to do the painting piece by piece rather than strip down the whole car again as space is limited. Have done the rear deck and rear wings as photo. Now doing the boot lid and had hoped to go through the paint stages in a shortened span but will take your advice and let things settle between stages. 

Yes, I can see there has been some sinkage in places as on the upper rear wings that have some metal repair sections let into them. Am working towards the front but perhaps another year I will do the rear again as per Forth Bridge. Stepping back it looks OK and is drivable though.  When done will put the boot back on in Bondarust red for a few weeks and take your advice and wait. As you can see the rest of the car is a collection of colours and surface qualities so won't be a problem.

Car is being painted in Mimosa, Yes, I know its a TR4A but it came in from Texas where PO painted it in 'Yella Rose of Texas' yellow. Mimosa is the nearest. 

David B

IMG_1460.jpg

Edited by David B2
photo load problem sorted

Nothing wrong with yellow though I prefer Daytona as its a deeper colour

Stuart.