Comet C2020 Neowise

"low down before sunrise"

You are aving a laff :o

Mick Richards

Having read that the comet was retreating from the Sun, and could be seen soon after sunset or before sunrise, I spent some time, hanging out of a top window with my binoculars, looking at the sunset.    Then,  I went back and read again!     Doh!   North-East sky!    And ever since it's been cloudy.  Ho-Hum.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bump this up, I was up at 3.49 on Sun/Monday morning and again at 2.50 ish on Monday/ Tuesday morning and C2020Neowise was the brightest thing I have ever seen in our sky. It was very visible an incredible sight, however Roger looked for it last night at about 2.00 and it wasn’t visible, this could be it was too early before dawn but it may have been too cloudy also.

Why don’t you take a look to see if you can see it as you won’t get another chance within 60,000 years.

Sue 

Unfortunately, where I live the horizon to the N and NE is rather obscured by tall buildings, trees and high ground. I think I would have to go a couple of miles to find a high enough point with a clear view - and so far that has not appealed in the wee small hours :unsure:

Perhaps I should make the effort though...... 

38 minutes ago, RobH said:

Unfortunately, where I live the horizon to the N and NE is rather obscured by tall buildings, trees and high ground. I think I would have to go a couple of miles to find a high enough point with a clear view - and so far that has not appealed in the wee small hours :unsure:

Perhaps I should make the effort though...... 

Rob we are 100ft above sea level and you are 200-300 above sea level I appreciate the trees and tall buildings could obscure your view. It is not just above the horizon as has been quoted in several places but reasonably high in the sky to NE.

if you just happen to be up at that time, as I was, just see if you can see it.

i wasn’t even looking for it, I had forgotten about it but was just looking out the window and thought that’s a bright Star/planet. It wasn’t untill the following afternoon that I suddenly realised what I had seen. A space programme had just come on TV and I suddenly dropped in.:wub:

Edited by SuzanneH

:P   Or I could get a ladder and climb onto my garage roof  - that would puzzle the neighbours at two in the morning !

Why are you on your garage roof, Sir?

I dropped a pound coin, Officer

On your garage roof, Sir?

No, but that's where I'm looking for it, because with the comet the light's better up here!!    kerChing!

If you are going to look, tonight or tomorrow will be best.     The comet will be closest to Earth then (Don't Panic, Don't Panic!   103 million miles close) but it's already fading as it moves away from the Sun.

And the weaher here is ... 10/10 cloud and raining.  B^gg4r.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:37 PM, john.r.davies said:

If you are going to look, tonight or tomorrow will be best.     The comet will be closest to Earth then (Don't Panic, Don't Panic!   103 million miles close) but it's already fading as it moves away from the Sun.

And the weaher here is ... 10/10 cloud and raining.  B^gg4r.

Ain't it always the way