Metal in Oil Pan

My 64 TR4 came to me with engine frozen. Unstuck with penetrating oil on cylinders after a few weeks- did pull the head to tap on the pistons and I unstuck it.  Motor turns freely now.  Engine still in car.

Dropped oil pan today to clean and inspect the bottom and found metal in the pan.  Can’t tell what this is or if it is as bad as it could be.  The material is thin spring steel kind of metal and definitely steel, magnet grabbed it from the oil and gunk in the pan.  You can see a stepped shape, like a tab on a piece of it. It seems thinner than a rod or main bearing would be.  Spark plug shown to give scale.  Any idea what this piece of metal might be and what indication this is? Clearly metal not good but it might be something that got dropped or was some sort of clip or something and not a bearing or other catastrophic fail part.

16C8B0B2-6E60-45F6-8607-0553674B1848.jpeg

60D562D2-8D78-4372-849A-B1A5642E8248.jpeg

Edited by RMP NC
Typo

Timing chain tensioner,

if abused and not replaced when they make a racket they can break up ... remove the timing chain cover at the front, you'll need to remove the crankshaft front pulley to do so. It should be tight...really tight, I use 120 lb ft when tightening up, it's a 5/8th UNF thread which is rated for 150 lb ft. Sometimes if a wussy owner has been on the case it might only have 50 or 80 lbs on it, (that can bring it's own problems) block the crankshaft with a suitable hardwood block against a web and use a  1 1/8th (from memory) SINGLE point socket, not a 12 point socket, the "dog bolt" has rounded off corners to allow it to disengage when a starting handle is used.

Mick Richards

When I do this should I go ahead and do more in there?  The timing chain, seals, etc.?  

5 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

How does the timing chain tensioner migrate into the sump? Is the gap around the front main cap big enough?

Peter W

I think all the smaller bits would wiggle through the front alloy closer block gaps ? if not the larger.

Mick Richards

Yep, liners secured with head bolts sleeved with pieces of pipe, holding big washers, etc.