What Steering Rack Grease & Swivel Oil ?

Moly or some suitable grease, rack and trunnions. The trunnions they make now are weak at the base. I sealed them using Jenweld at the base, it just stops any seapage at the plate/ trunnion joint. Not especially elegant, but who’s looking. I marked the as the L and R as the original marks were on the base. See photo

5D23868D-3E16-4411-86C8-1F32BCDDB986.jpeg

Edited by Sill Gap Problem
2 hours ago, Mike C said:

I stopped using  EP90 on the trunnions maybe 10 years ago. Now I use moly grease on the trunnions, steering rack and everywhere else.

I have done that for 45 years +. Never had a problem! Also used the black grease on UJ's and sliding splines!

Bruce.

The repro racks dont have grease nipples Im afraid, you can pull the rack boots off and then wind the rack to full lock each side and apply grease to the exposed section and then wind from lock to lock a few times and then replace the gaiters.

Stuart.

49 minutes ago, stuart said:

The repro racks dont have grease nipples Im afraid, you can pull the rack boots off and then wind the rack to full lock each side and apply grease to the exposed section and then wind from lock to lock a few times and then replace the gaiters.

Stuart.

Very good point Stuart and my boots only lasted just over 12 months before they split and I had to replace them with PU types, no problems since. If you remove that big nut and undo the socket cap with a view to drilling and tapping it for a grease nipple. Do you think that will cause a problem when put back as I do not know what it does? 

Bruce.

3 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Very good point Stuart and my boots only lasted just over 12 months before they split and I had to replace them with PU types, no problems since. If you remove that big nut and undo the socket cap with a view to drilling and tapping it for a grease nipple. Do you think that will cause a problem when put back as I do not know what it does? 

Bruce.

Possibly would work, Ive not tried it on the grounds that I suspect theyre assembled on a "One time only" fit basis.

Stuart.

Thank you guys! I have to confess I had been using Grease over the years for the Trunnions, but thought I'd get told off here!  And my Steering Rack is the original with the bolt and earth strap.

I've had the car since 1972 and it's only done 75k. Moly Grease it is then! Thank you.  

6 hours ago, CP26309 said:

Thank you guys! I have to confess I had been using Grease over the years for the Trunnions, but thought I'd get told off here!  And my Steering Rack is the original with the bolt and earth strap.

I've had the car since 1972 and it's only done 75k. Moly Grease it is then! Thank you.  

A decade or so ago a lot of people would have been telling you grease is no good because it doesn't flush any dirt out of the trunnions. I just got sick of the mess oiling the trunnions caused and I having to oil them regularly because the oil drained out. I still have an old grease gun converted to an oil gun in the garage-a messy device to use. 

I also suspect that moly grease was a rare commodity in 1969 so Triumph never really considered it as a service option.

• 1 month later...