Sparks gone AWOL!

Hi All,

My sparks gone AWOL deep in rural France!. (16700) suggestions please.

So it was rather warm on Thursday (36 degrees) but never the less we set out on a car club picnic. All was well on the 12km drive to the meeting place. however approximately 10 minutes after we set off in convoy the car started to splutter then lose power and eventually stop. i knew it wasn't fuel as just filled up, pump working, the filter bowl was clean and the float chambers were full. after a few minutes the car would start normally but struggle to accelerate, lose power and splutter to a stop after 20 seconds. This happened 5 times then i gave up and got a tow home.

At home I investigated the ignition and found no spark.  So back to basics.  Checked power to coil OK. Removed the electronic points and refitted contact breaker. Set crank at TDC no 1 and rotor arm pointing at no 1 push rod so that's OK. Removed  plugs. Connected a plug lead and plug to the center output of the coil and earthed it. Hey presto a spark. single spark if I manually operate the contact breaker and multiple sparks if i turn the car over on the starter. Put the distributor cap back on connect all cables. No sparks at plugs. Nothing! tried connecting a cable and plug to the carbon center pin inside the cap and i got a spark so not that cable. Gave up and went to bed.

This morning I connected a lead and an inline light thingy plus plug to the output of the coil in parallel with the standard set up and got the most miniscule flash of light but no spark.

No apparent damage to rotor arm or distributor cap. Obvious thing would be to replace the rotor arm and distributor cap but remember I'm in deepest rural France.

Is it likely that it was/is the coil. Can they fail in this way (intermittent and weak output) or do they just stop

Any help gladly received.

Yes coils can fail  - particularly the cheaper modern after-market ones, but from your symptoms where you get sparks when manually operating the points, I would think the rotor arm is the most likely suspect. They can develop a track to earth which shorts out the HT, and which may not be visible on simple inspection. 

Best to get a Distributor Doctor one if you can - and carry a spare ! 

If you’re stuck for a spare rotor arm send me a PM as I can post you a spare red one from the  Distributor Dr. But with the 14 of July coming up it won’t be with you until Wednesday, butyou can be certain that is faster than Royal Mail from UK - I live in the Morbihan.

james

Thanks John.   i have several irons in the fire at the moment regarding access to parts.   Will call you on Sunday

36 minutes ago, james christie said:

If you’re stuck for a spare rotor arm send me a PM as I can post you a spare red one from the  Distributor Dr. But with the 14 of July coming up it won’t be with you until Wednesday, butyou can be certain that is faster than Royal Mail from UK - I live in the Morbihan.

james

Thanks James for your kind offer, will message you with my details.

12 hours ago, TwinCamJohn said:

Ian, I expect you take La Vie de l'Auto, but in case not there is a list of people over France that can help classic car owners.

I think Champagne Mouton is near to you.

Try:  Francis Gassling  05 45 31 89 06

Just another thought.

Thanks John, Champagne Mouton is about 8km away. Will get in touch with him.

Edited by ians
correction
17 hours ago, roy53 said:

could it be that you are suffering from the faulty spark plugs that we have all been talking about ?

Roy

Dont think so as i can get a plug spark if i bypass the distributor.

2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Hello Ian, we are approx 45mins from you (Luchapt) and have spare dizzy and Lucas (real not modern ****) coils and Crypton machines all of which we can bring to you if it helps.0788403747.

TR3A owner but not yet joined.

Regards Charlie.

Charlie, Thanks for the offer. I have a new rotor arm on its way to me if that fails i may contact you for assistance.

And the 'Spark' is back on active duty!  :)

Thanks to James Christie who sent me a new Red Rotor Arm. I will procure a replacement and send to him.

I have again thoroughly inspected the old black one and can't see anything wrong but clearly it is faulty.

We live and learn.

Ian

The rotor arm you need is from The Distributor Doctor ONLY. He make high quality ones that do not earth out inside. He mad them red but some other makers also make red ones now. If you use DD only you will get a proper overhaul on your distributor and ignition. My distributor was overhauled by Aldon automotive and 29 years later DD had my distributor in for overhaul and found the wrong springs and other problems.  Only use the DD red ones. He dispatches stock fast and we all need his Rotor arm in the boot of the car to avoid problems at roadside breakdown.

Keep going Richard & B