I was going to fit a set of full harness type seatbelts to my 3a, until I sat in and realised that no way would I be able to operate the handbrake when strapped in. Reading period road tests it seems that the reach for the brake was mentioned back in the days when the cars were new, so its not just that my arms are too short.

Has anyone ever altered the brake lever to bring it into a better position, such as the rally boys that might want it for handbrake turns, which after all is the main reason for having a fly off handbrake in the first place.

Ralph.

31 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I was going to fit a set of full harness type seatbelts to my 3a, until I sat in and realised that no way would I be able to operate the handbrake when strapped in. Reading period road tests it seems that the reach for the brake was mentioned back in the days when the cars were new, so its not just that my arms are too short.

Has anyone ever altered the brake lever to bring it into a better position, such as the rally boys that might want it for handbrake turns, which after all is the main reason for having a fly off handbrake in the first place.

Ralph.

Revingtons do a conversion kit for the TR4 rally boys as that has the same problem, they use a later handbrake mounted on the tunnel.

Stuart.

Ralf answer is yes,

One of our group members used an iten of a racing cycle handlebar.

I Think he bought a pair of some such extension, and used the best 'Handed' to his feel.

John.

A recent rebuild by a Devon Group member features a hydraulic hand brake with master cylinder  in the line to the rear brakes and handle mounted on the transmission tunnel. 
No locking facility as it is just for hill starts and the original parking brake remains unaltered. 

FWIW I have full harness belts in my '3, & I can reach the handbrake ok.  (5' 10" in case you were thinking I must be a short ar$e !)

Bob.

2 hours ago, Ecosse said:

Hi Ralph,

I use my left leg to bring the handbrake lever towards me to a reachable distance when strapped in.

Cheers,

Cliff

2999 F 2.jpg

Me too.....combined with a bit of heel and toe for hill starts. 

58 minutes ago, Lebro said:

FWIW I have full harness belts in my '3, & I can reach the handbrake ok.  (5' 10" in case you were thinking I must be a short ar$e !)

Bob.

Apeism Bob? :-)

19 hours ago, foster461 said:

Sit in the passenger seat and try and operate the handbrake. That's how it is for us LHD folks. Sorry miss, I was just reaching for the parking brake..

I knew there was a reason why I should have left it left hand drive !!.

Ralph.