Understanding Flywheel

I am a little lost re tr3 tr3b tr4  tr4a  flywheel 

First thanks to mick for his help 

I have a tr3b engine that I am turning into a fast road, (hopefully)

The tr3b flywheel  weighs 30lbs approximately, has seperate ring gear with 90 teeth 

I want to use a tr6 clutch with a suitable flywheel I believe I have to have a tr4a flywheel 

The engine is going over to Saunders enginering for balancing crack detection etc, 

So can I lighten the tr3b flywheel and get it re-drilled for a tr6 clutch,

Might have a chance to buy a  standard tr4a flywheel, but cant seem to find a part no, or pic of item, so they can identify the correct flywheel, did the flywheels have part no stamped on them 

Can anyone hold my hand please 

Cheers pink 

2 hours ago, pinky said:

I am a little lost re tr3 tr3b tr4  tr4a  flywheel 

First thanks to mick for his help 

I have a tr3b engine that I am turning into a fast road, (hopefully)

The tr3b flywheel  weighs 30lbs approximately, has seperate ring gear with 90 teeth 

I want to use a tr6 clutch with a suitable flywheel I believe I have to have a tr4a flywheel 

The engine is going over to Saunders enginering for balancing crack detection etc, 

So can I lighten the tr3b flywheel and get it re-drilled for a tr6 clutch,

YES  REDRILL AND LIGHTEN   GET BALANCED WITH CLUTCH THERE IS A COMPANY IN WALES WHO ADVERTISE ON EBAY THAT DO EXCHANGE LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL  eurekatriumph.com

Might have a chance to buy a  standard tr4a flywheel, but cant seem to find a part no, or pic of item, so they can identify the correct flywheel, did the flywheels have part no stamped on them 

NO PART NUMBER STAMPED ON FLYWHEEL THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Can anyone hold my hand please 

Cheers pink 

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thank you Peter for your help,  so to conclude I am going to use the 3b flywheel,  (30lbs, 90 teeth removable starter ring)

drilled for tr6 clutch,  the flywheel weight reduced to 20lbs 

Just a thought, could I use a tr6 flywheel, redrilled to fit the crank, have a spare one of them (just a thought)

Cheers pink 

1 hour ago, pinky said:

Thank you Peter for your help,  so to conclude I am going to use the 3b flywheel,  (30lbs, 90 teeth removable starter ring)

drilled for tr6 clutch,  the flywheel weight reduced to 20lbs 

Hamish did all this 2 years ago in his TR3A   

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/64890-lightening-the-flywheel/

Just a thought, could I use a tr6 flywheel, redrilled to fit the crank, have a spare one of them (just a thought)

I have never seen it done plus you will need a to change the starter motor. - can of expensive worms and very red herring.

Suggest you check which TR6 flywheel it is and if it is an early one for a long back crank you find a TR5 victim customer.  That could pay for your 3B flywheel mods.

Cheers

Peter W

You could try Pete Cox he drilled and dowled my 3a flywheel for the diaphragm clutch and supplied the clutch.

my flywheel was already lightened a little  

but I’m sure he could help /advise on that. 
as you can see he has done a variety of work for me at a very fair price.
https://petecoxsportscars.co.uk/testimonials

E90BF5D4-E5BB-4F67-89C7-D6A2D56A4A4D.jpeg

66B7F656-26BC-4489-988D-9EC4C498EAF3.jpeg

CD63B5D6-D71F-4486-BE43-B920CEDFE7AA.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Pics
14 hours ago, pinky said:

am a little lost re tr3 tr3b tr4  tr4a  flywheel 

if it's of any help I went through the same learning curve < here > ..which was happily concluded < here >

Pete.

You could just get a lightweight steel one ready drilled for the 4A ring gear, thus avoiding the cost of lightening and the concern that the wheel has become weakened and you don’t want your feet near that much metal whizzing around at 6000rpm when it breaks up. 

If you do, get it done by someone who knows what they are doing and have experience of working on TR flywheels. There is a difference between knowing how to operate the machinery and where it is safe to take away the metal without causing critical weakness.

There is little doubt the 4 cylinder flywheel is an overweight lump more suited to its tractor use and can benefit pick up if lightened quite considerably without hindering drivability.

+1 for Pete Cox. He had my TR4 Flywheel lightened to approx 19 lbs and drilled for a diapragm clutch just the right amount for road use make, sure you have the flywheel and clutch assy balanced together, I previously had a steel flywheel weighing 10 lbs not in my opinion suitable for road use, great pickup but the drop off to dramatic.

Cheers Chris.