Purpose of starting handle guide stays?

Whilst fiddling with the 3A yesterday I noticed that the starting handle guide is secured by a bolt from underneath the apron, but also two stays that attach to the guide where it projects through the apron and at the other end to the chassis. 

Deploying the stays just to secure the guide, looks like a bit of over-engineering. So are they there to provide some rigidity to the apron? 

Just curious.

Miles

There is quite a bit of force exerted on that guide when cranking, I think the primary purpose of the struts is to hold it in a fixed position. It also helps to locate the apron.

Bob.

^ +1

As Bob says when you crank the engine the crank handle needs some serious support because it sticks out a long way. Also the location on the "dog bolt" is the cut outs on the crankhandle drive faces which don't like a lot of up and down or stirring motion. On my TR3a I noticed the crank handle guide when it was cranked was "rippling" the apron material it was bolted to and checked underneath to find...no guide support struts, ! a bit of home handyman and I fashioned a pair to support and hold it in position and job done, no rippling.

Mick Richards

There is also (on the TR3a at least) a flatish bit of metal about 6 inches long that goes from a bracket on the frame to the apron, presumably to help stabilize the apron. I didnt have one but Stuart was kind enough to send me a picture and dimensions.

Stan

In the winter of 1965, I was based in Stafford in really cold and snowy weather, with the old TR2 parked outside.  Despite the fact that I am small, I was able to hand start the TR each morning, but I had to use both hands - shows one how much force had to be applied!

As Mick says, those brackets are necessary.

Ian Cornish

4 hours ago, ianc said:

"In the winter of 1965,

I was based in Stafford

in really cold and snowy weather,"

That reminded me of Joan Baez :

“In the winter of '65,

we were hungry,

just barely alive”

(The night we drove old Dixie down)

I bet she didn’t have a starting handle though.

I remember once being in my Rover 90, stuck at a petrol station with a flat battery.

Out came the starting handle.

Some young kids pulled up next to me in a Ford Fiesta and started laughing.

I smiled back, thinking

"One day, YOU will have a flat battery, and you will have to phone your mummy to come and help you."

Charlie.

28 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

That reminded me of Joan Baez :

“In the winter of '65,

we were hungry,

just barely alive”

(The night we drove old Dixie down)

I bet she didn’t have a starting handle though.

I remember once being in my Rover 90, stuck at a petrol station with a flat battery.

Out came the starting handle.

Some young kids pulled up next to me in a Ford Fiesta and started laughing.

I smiled back, thinking

"One day, YOU will have a flat battery, and you will have to phone your mummy to come and help you."

Charlie.

Bob Dylan was probably kind enough to share his starting handle with Joan.

Berry

Berry - Ha Ha, probably correct!

On a level road, I have been able to bump start a TR4 on my own because a TR used every day needs only to be bumped in 2nd gear at very low speed to get it started.

Ian Cornish