I have a question -

with the scuttle vent flap open when driving along should you be able to feel a warm air flow with the heater flaps open ?

my heater puts out lots of heat but only when I have the fan on. 

I've never noticed any heat flow just with the scuttle vent open - after all there is no sealed connection between it and the heater. No fan, no flow as far as I can see Hamish. 

12 minutes ago, iain said:

Yup....it’s a primitive design!

So . .. maybe it is more useful to get heat out of the engine bay?

I find the same, I virtually never bother opening the flap. I suppose it could be useful to let some fresh air in when driving with the hood up, but never found it necessary.

For the same reason, I never turn the heater water tap off. No fan - no heat.

Bob.

But there is a connection between the two right ?

im with bob in never turning the water connection tap off. 

I have been known to use the heater to keep engine temps down in various older cars

my dad used to say cook the driver not the engine !

Edited by Hamish
11 hours ago, Hamish said:

I have been known to use the heater to keep engine temps down in various older cars

my dad used to say cook the driver not the engine !

+1

I used to open the flap even with the roof off too cool(?) the footwell given all the radiant heat from the engine bay / G'box cover, but insulation installed over the winter has dealt with that to a good degree.

As my car seems to run 'warm' I always keep the heater tap open and in the summer often run the heater through the screen vents. I am not aware of the additional hot air. If you want to do this check that your hoses are (a) connected and (b) intact - they do degrade. As me how I know...

Miles

On 7/9/2020 at 10:31 PM, Hamish said:

But there is a connection between the two right ?

No. The vent flap  just directs fresh air into the car, aiming it towards the bulkhead and not at the heater. If you had the heater fan running at the same time it might draw a bit of this fresh air through the heater and eject it out the bottom warmed up. Car designers of old seem to be fixated with making sure you stayed cold, for example, my 1948 Hillman Minx has no heater, but has a scuttle vent on each side aiming cold air straight at the side of your leg, an opening windscreen to aim it at your face, and an opening roof panel. Obviously the target markets were places like Australia, India and the like.

Ralph

Thanks Ralf. I really thought the vent fed the heater.

live and learn thankfully. 

Remember these cars were made for export - generally to much warmer climes.

I've found the vent useful occasionally in the summer for cooling the footwells. It doesn't add much to heating though in the winter with the majority of the coldincoming air circumventing the heater.

JEFFR