PI Metering unit- non return valves.

Hi Guys,

Has anyone know of a simple (ish) method of checking the non-return valves fitted on the pipe outputs on a PI metering unit. I believe if these are not sound then fuel can drain down over time when car is not used and cause the common problem of difficult starting after a few weeks layup. I don't know for sure but I imagine that during Metering Unit refurbishment these valves are not rebuilt and will be original as NLA. 

A older local garage mechanic I know who used to work for a Triumph dealership tells me that starting was never a problem with PI cars left for months when new.

Rich

Rich,

Even if the valves are sound after so many years I expect ever increasing Ethanol will soon be the death of them. With so many PI's about we should all get together and get new seals manufactured, it is only a simple cone.

Alan

14 minutes ago, barkerwilliams said:

Rich,

Even if the valves are sound after so many years I expect ever increasing Ethanol will soon be the death of them. With so many PI's about we should all get together and get new seals manufactured, it is only a simple cone.

Alan

Alan,

Rich was asking about the metering unit non return valves. I thought these were just plain spring loaded disks that seal against a flat face inside the MU connector.

Richard

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 9.40.15 am.png

1 hour ago, Richard Green 54 said:

Alan,

Rich was asking about the metering unit non return valves. I thought these were just plain spring loaded disks that seal against a flat face inside the MU connector.

Richard

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 9.40.15 am.png

As far as I know new non return valves are obtainable from KMI including re-con ones on their part exchange system? I have had both types from them in the last 18 months.

Bruce.

On my metering unit  they are a rubber type material, a solid cone with the smaller end formed into a small peg that clips into the top of the spring. 

Are you suggesting that they should be metallic discs  that are held in place by the spring? Are there different types of non-return valves,  does mine just have something unusual  fitted?

Alan

2 hours ago, barkerwilliams said:

On my metering unit  they are a rubber type material, a solid cone with the smaller end formed into a small peg that clips into the top of the spring. 

Are you suggesting that they should be metallic discs  that are held in place by the spring? Are there different types of non-return valves,  does mine just have something unusual  fitted?

Alan

The TR6 manual shows the arrangement in the picture and there does not appear to be a cone. The banjo NRVs are like this on my MU because I had one in my hand the other day.

Perhaps you have some sort of aftermarket 'improved' version.

Richard

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 2.36.14 pm.png

I have taken the rubber puck like disc out and changed them round, there is a sort of cone that the rubber sits/seals on but its not that well machined. the rubber discs where marked a bit so turning them over did improve them.  The ones closest to the engine 2 and 5 are not the same so didn't do those.

I just used a small tool to unhook the spring and out it pops.

John