Phoenix Exhaust

Hi,

Im considering changing my old TR4a exhaust for a Phoenix manifold & large bore sports system however not sure if this will sound "sporty" or loud? does anyone have one of these that can comment?

Thanks

Don

Don - I've got a Phoenix manifold but connected to an otherwise standard S/Steel two box exhaust system and whilst I wouldn't says its especially loud, it does make a nice noise!  I think you will find the whole sports system ( I think it only has one silencer??) pretty loud

Cheers Rich

Edited by rcreweread
grammar

I have a Phoenix manifold and large bore pipe with single rear silencer.  I find the sound satisfyingly sporty but not intrusive. Be aware that the flange of the Phoenix manifold is a bit thinner than that of the 4A inlet manifold so you will need to weld a small pip on one end of the clamps or fit suitable packing washers so that they will pull up square.

Tim

I have a similar setup but with an SAH copy manifold and a single silencer not overly loud and TBH quieter than the twin pipe system I replaced it for.

Stuart.

516248772_IMG_0009_1200x880-Copy.thumb.jpg.6e5c1bd66135bc60c900e513bd6466c5.jpg

5 hours ago, BRENDA1 said:

Hi I have a Phoenix 4 branch manifold going to large pipe into a Y pipe and then two back boxes, not to loud but sounds nice not over the top for long motorway runs.

Mike Redrose Group 

I have the Phoenix with big bore on my 4A, and it does sound a lot louder than my old twin pipe. Everyone tells me what a great sound it makes, but I have considered changing back, as I quite liked the sound from the twin pipes. Is there a connector available to the bottom of the Phoenix pipes for the twin pipe set up?

Hi Don,

Contrary to most responses, I found the phoenix exhaust on my TR4 a bit loud (mine is also coupled to an SH-style manifold).  I added back a bomb-type silencer ahead of the rear box and that made it better all round for me.

Tim

Thanks everyone for the advise. I’m still deliberating and thinking perhaps I will contact Phoenix directly for a chat.

I have memories of my father driving to work with an a custom exhaust from Mike the Pipe many years ago!  I could hear the car for miles! I like the idea of a sportier sound without being overly intrusive. I will let you all know how I get on.

36 minutes ago, Don K said:

Thanks everyone for the advise. I’m still deliberating and thinking perhaps I will contact Phoenix directly for a chat.

I have memories of my father driving to work with an a custom exhaust from Mike the Pipe many years ago!  I could hear the car for miles! I like the idea of a sportier sound without being overly intrusive. I will let you all know how I get on.

Full Phoenix system with manifold and single rear silencer - sounds great and suits the car perfectly for me.

17 hours ago, johnwill said:

I have the Phoenix with big bore on my 4A, and it does sound a lot louder than my old twin pipe. Everyone tells me what a great sound it makes, but I have considered changing back, as I quite liked the sound from the twin pipes. Is there a connector available to the bottom of the Phoenix pipes for the twin pipe set up?

When looking they do a twin exhaust for the Phoenix system so you should be able to convert from the manifold.

Don

IMHO...unless your engine has been highly modified, extractors are not required.

A nice exhaust sound can be acquired on a single system.

The stock twin outlet 4A  manifold is a semi extractor design anyway.

I would keep the cast manifold, cut the flange off the twin exhaust pipes, and weld a 2 into one collector onto the flange, then run a suitably sized single system from there.

6 hours ago, Malbaby said:

and weld a 2 into one collector onto the flange

And there is still one for sale in the spares section.

• 1 month later...

So Exhaust all fitted. fitting was easy. My old exhaust was a single box sports system. I can report that the new exhaust has a lovely note and rasp to it.  Its quite a lot louder (maybe 25%) when you open the throttle up but in my opinion sporty sounding rather than boy racer.  The car appears to be revving much more freely although I have just rebuilt the carbs. Took the car on a recent trip down to Cornwall with the top down all the way...perfect : -) 

IMG_3875.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 12:18 AM, Malbaby said:

Don, please advise....what is the item on the top of the RHS rear wing, and what seats are fitted.

Hi, 

it’s an aerial for the radio on top of the wing. The seats are Mazda seats which I purchased from the TR trader a while ago. Very comfy and fitted for the added safety of having head rests. BBD5430F-BE6C-4CC8-9A4F-BC2D19F45AE0.thumb.jpeg.3b5af8a2ba41df85774e739be66955b0.jpegAC268BB0-5D48-41BE-BEFD-CB031CAD3240.thumb.jpeg.d68b00299fc663ed9161ba24ebed5ba1.jpegC6D87564-102E-4CA8-B2A2-6888955EEB59.thumb.jpeg.63c105c5aa93c77111d874144db8689d.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon all,

A pleasure to put my first post up on the TR forum. I've recently bought a TR4, EOL579C, as pictured. My father, Les, has owned a TR6 for many years and so I thought I'd join the party.

I'm very happy with my purchase and I've already done a fair amount of tinkering with my father (although I've not bought many new parts apart from an oil filter housing to stop a leak and a few gaskets). I'm looking at getting a full Phoenix system inc. manifold. Does anyone have a video or would be prepared to take one so that I can get a taste for the sound of the Phoenix system? Everyone seems to have a different opinion on the sound, and I don't want constant flashbacks of being 17 with my Mk4 Golf going down the motorway with hearing defence in. I'm looking at the big bore single box system.

I have plenty of other technical questions, but I'll save them for other threads.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

IMG-5287.jpg

The big bore single box system is, in my opinion, quite noisy. A local friend has one on his TR3A. I have the standard Phoenix double box (& tubular manifold) & it is not as loud, but still sporty.  I am happy with my choice.

Bob.

Welcome to the forum Adam, a very nice looking car. Can I ask, why you want a Phoenix exhaust? Sound, performance, bling? Just interested as I find the standard exhaust on my 4-pot to have a nice burble and not too noisy when cruising (unlike my straight-through TR6 exhaust, which is very wearing after a few hours, bit like your Golf).

Mick

Phoenix used to supply a quiet straight-through silencer fitted with a bundle of perforated tubes to effect the decibel reduction. I have been very pleased with mine which is probably 15 years old by now. At some point PHOENIX were no longer able to obtain these tubes and I wonder if they have ever bothered to come up with another solution. My other [ concours ] car has their large bore cross box "silencer" which is anything but. 

The quiet one gave no offence neither to me nor my wife with over 400 miles per day over 3900 miles. Cruising it's barely heard. Pic below.

Tom

TR PCV AND SILENCER SHOTS 005.jpg

Edited by Tom Fremont

Don

you wanted a recording. 
this is as close as I can get for you. 
its Phoenix system but an unknown 4 into 1 extractor manifold. 
and as many know on here my car is not overly tuned. But 87mm.

passes scrutineering <100dB. But my neighbour know when I go out.

mic located on rear overrides bumper iron.

https://youtu.be/UqYP8xTd1wA

Morning Mick,

Thanks very much. Not a choice out of noice, I'm perfectly happy with the warble the original exhaust produces. More performance really. The old manifold has completely flaked away (whether due to age or a poor respray job I'm unsure). My mission is to keep the exterior looking as original as possible, and slowly but thoroughly upgrade the working parts over the next couple of years. The dream is to be in the South of France / The Alps and not having to worry about anything going wrong. So far it's pretty original - it has 1-2-3 ignition, a servo fitted, fuel filter (I don't think it had one at all originally?), spin-on oil filter housing and lastly a new starter motor that I haven't fitted, because cleaning all related wiring and tightening them up properly made the world of difference.

I thought next I could look at fitting a Phoenix exhaust & manifold, and then a pair of twin Webers before I start fiddling with the engine. Open to any and all advice. At 27 I have a couple of years to learn the ropes...

YoursAye,

Adam