Should I check the clutch?

Hi, the gear box is away on its holidays at the moment and I wondered if I should check the clutch? I have read the forum articles here and am concerned that it looks very problematic and am thinking if it ain't broke etc.. Do I need any special tools? Matt

It’s usually best practice and easier to change it now the box is out, I know I would

It's a lot of work to get a gearbox out and not much extra work to change the clutch plate Matt. Unless you know the plate was replaced fairly recently and is in good condition, doing it now might save having to take the box out again later on. It's quite an easy thing to do.

The trick on re-assembly is to get the clutch plate properly centred and to do that you will need a centreing tool. The plastic ones you can buy from the usual suppliers seem to work OK. Taking time to get that exactly right pays dividends when you come to put the box back on.

I believe the trouble you read about with people getting the gearbox back on is really down to inexact alignment of the box and engine as much as poorly centred clutch plates.

With the gearbox off it is sinch..

remove the bolts for the clutch cover and remove alongside the driven plate.

put new driven plate and cover back on (making sure the driven plate is the correct way around and aligned (buy an alignment tool for the TR).

Bolt up cover to the correct torque.

Done

I've just had my gearbox and OD rebuilt, and before I refitted it I replaced the clutch cover and drive plate even though the original was only 4 years old.   

Hi Matt,

+1 to inspect and change the clutch assembly whilst the gearbox is removed from the car. If you haven't covered as part of your gearbox rebuild I would also recommend carefully inspecting the cross-shaft, release bearing carrier and wired retaining pin which may be broken. Mine looked OK visually but when I removed the wired bolt it was in fact broken. Also worth checking the bearings in the gearbox bell bellhousing where the cross shaft fits. There is a multitude of threads and really helpful information on this forum related to these topics which you may find useful. Again, without teaching you to 'suck eggs' also pay close attention to the position of the dowel bolts when reinstating the gearbox to ensure correct alignment. This is also very well covered on previous threads with useful pictures so worth taking a look perhaps?

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Best Regards, Peter

Matt - also mark the clutch cover and flywheel so they go back in the same orientation to each other in case they were balanced together, and also give it a good clean whilst the cover is off to remove any oil and other dirt.

Cheers Rich

Hi Matt,

It would be prudent to install a new 3 piece clutch at this stage whilst the gearbox is out, especially if the existing one is of unknown quantity.

Also worth putting new bushes in the cross shaft. There is enough to put an extra bush each side (so two per side), which will offer additional support.

Gearbox mounting a given, too.

Cheers.

Hi Matt,

are you ready for a different point of view?

If it was fine before be happy about its quality.

And if it is still strong enough I would fit it again, new is about 8 mm, worn (I have bern told) is 6.5 to 6.0 mm.

I refitted mine currently with 6.65 mm because of special reasons - and it works lovely.

Ciao, Marco

Sorry me, you threw that ball!

What I see is a friction plate from strong sidewards, so there is nothing to realize than a friction plate.

And a clutch plate with blue reflections and dirt spots?

7 minutes ago, ntc said:

Looks ok to me, yes best practice to replace all three components' however finding good ones is not as easy as you would think. also check the gearbox has had a mill pin fitted on the cross shaft. 

These guys do a cracking job of rebuilding originals and will uprate if required. http://www.precisionclutch.co.uk/

Stuart.

Hi Matt,

that friction plate looks to have plenty of life left,

I can lend you an input shaft, for the cost of teh postage, maybe £4.00 each way.

I have Pm'd you my number, ring me tomorrow if you want me to sort, orjust to chat about the job.

One word of advice would be when refiting the gearbox, have help, it can be awkward.

John.