4A & 5 handbrake levers

Well here's a funny thing.

A long, long time ago when I bought my 5 I swapped the handbrake lever for the much cooler fly-off version from my old 4A that I had crashed.

It took me a long time to figure out that a fly-off lever isn't that cool after all, nor as efficient, so thought I'd put back the original. For a long time it has been an accepted mod to re-drill the hole for the cable to improve the handbrake, but I didn't realise that the factory had done this for the 5. There is no sign of an old hole being welded up so I can only presume it is original.

Photo shows 5 on the left & 4A on the right.

Jerry

TR4A & 5 handbrake.jpg

Hi Jerry,

TRiumph obviously realised that the 4A handbrake was not up to scratch and did the mod for the 5 & 6.   It has a very good affect.

Also with the back plate lever extension - it all works well.

Roger

When I wanted to do this modification realised for me:

to lift the drill up makes the levers shorter and the brake more powerful - but it makes the way you an pull on the cables much shorter.

This allows less play in the hole construction, so my handbrake still works the TR4A way.

In my opinion this mod by the factory is not a good reference but was a desperate acting and made the whole poor construction "better worse".

Edited by Z320