Brush cutter/strimmer advice

Hi,

My Stihl strimmer , FS80, which is small and lightweight, is finally worn out after over 30 years.  Compression is now 6 psi and the repair shop has written it off. They have recommended a Mountfield BK45ED which has a blade and regular head with a line. The local agricultural store has a Stihl with a smaller engine 30cc but the cost is £200 more. 

I need some advice on a proper piece of equipment that starts easily and will cut brambles. My 1996  ride on mower by Hayter, always starts well and cuts the grass very well. I need a strimmer/brush cutter in the same class.

Please offer any help or experience , good or bad ??

Richard & B.

I think the fact that your Stihl has lasted thirty years tells you a lot. I've always felt you can't go far wrong with Stihl, in my opinion they are worth the extra, although £200 seems a big premium so maybe these days they are trading off the name a bot too much?

Nigel

For brambles I use a pole hedgecutter. The strimmer wont touch 1/2 diameter stems. However I like dense bramble patches, the hedge sparrows nest in them, and the brown butterflies (meadow. ringlet and gatekeeper) rely upon the flowers for nectar.

The petrol hedgecutter is  better balanced than the battery version, but a b888er to start.

Peter

I would recommend a strimmer with both a blade and plastic cable feeder, like the Mountfield, with a Kawasaki engine. I have found the blade to be brilliant at getting through thick brambles and small tree saplings. Mine is a Ryobi, the blade is brilliant the engine is very temperamental. 

Mick

I have had a Stihl FS55 strimmer, also for 30 years. Been serviced once. Never let me down. Can be used with cord or blade. In fact have Stihl strimmer, leaf blower and cordless hedge trimmer all are excellent.

Tim

It may be worth looking at a Viking brand machine which I believe are made by Stihl, but cheaper. I have a 20 year old Viking hedge cutter which has been excellent.

George 

Edited by harlequin

Richard

I have one, bought just over 2 years ago from Monster shop on e bay. I think it was about £160 new. It does the job I want it to but the 2 stroke engine can be a b*g**r to start at times. After the Sthil you may find it a little short on quality but at that price well worth a punt.

Brian

Similarly I had a small light strimmer for many years and when it died I bought a larger replacement but I was shocked by the weight of the newer machine. I think it is all the H&S bits that are not on the older machine. I thought it would not matter much as I am a big lad but after using it for some time the aches start so I tend not to use it much. 

My advice is to weigh your existing one and then you have an idea what is best for you - then buy the Stihl.

Or there is this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stihl-Fs-80-grass-strimmer-engine/264615530976?hash=item3d9c5091e0:g:42QAAOSwPPxeMVNQ

for £35 is it worth a punt? - says money back guarantee (no connection)

Alan 

Alan

If it's just low on compression a quick hone and new set of rings will keep it going, new pistons are available on Ebay for not a lot of money, and new barrel and pistons are also available (though discontinued by Stihl) on the bay, after 30 years service why give up now?

Cheers Rob

You are correct and I should not give up. But I need a brush cutter now, not just a strimmer,  because the brambles are high and strong.  A local agricultural store has suggested a brand ,Mitox , which is Chinese but has a 5 year guarantee, a 46cc engine , easy starting and anti vibration. It is £300 but maybe better quality than the ones under £100 on ebay Parker, Viking etc. Has anyone any Mitox experience. ??

Thanks Richard and B.

I have one of the cheap 4 in 1 units that are available for about £180. I suspect they all come out of the same factory. 

I bought mine about 9 or 10 years ago and it has always done everything I asked of it. 

Rgds Ian

I had a 4 in one Ryobi one a while ago, the brushcutter attachment was by far the most useful of them.

It never gave me any trouble. now passed on to a friend as I no longer needed it.

Bob.

Richard, I spay unwanted bramble thickets with glyphosate in Feb when little else is in leaf, leave a few weeks, and then cut. Regrowth from roots is minimal.  Cutting now will encourage vigorous new growth. Peter

Yes.

I would not use it on edible crops, but farmers are allowed to.

EU also banned asulox summarily. That was really useful for bracken, very selective. And bracken spores are implicated in lung cancers adn root exudates in oesophageal cancer. Brussels' H%S madness

Peter