TR3A Battery Box, purpose of the 2 holes bottom rear left corner

Yesterday I removed the battery box of my 58 LHD TR3A and now I'm preparing a repro box. There are two holes in the rear bottom left corner of the original box which the repro part doesn't have. When I dismantled the car, the left hole was closed with a rubber piece. all this looks to be original Standard Triumph. Does anyone have an idea which purpose these holes have?

The body is for RHD / LHD use (but no holes in the right corner of the box)...

Bild6.jpg

Bild5.jpg

That`s where the overdrive relay mounts if fitted, countersunk screws on battery side.

Ralph

Do not drill until you have confirmed the hole spacing of the relay you intend to use.  Original overdrive relays have differently positioned mounting brackets.

Peter W

5 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

That`s where the overdrive relay mounts if fitted, countersunk screws on battery side.

Ralph

Is that the case for early long door cars would you know please?

Hi Ken,

The early cars had the same mounting point for the relay.

You do need to check the relay you intend to use, make sure the mount is on the side not the end.

Rod

Isn't there supposed to be a drain hole in the centre?

46 minutes ago, foster461 said:

Yep, in the bottom of the box, centered left to right but very close to the front of the box.

Stan

Only fitted to post TS 1500 or so, early cars didnt have them. Early sidescreen cars also had very flimsy battery locating brackets unlike later ones.

Stuart.

40 minutes ago, stuart said:

Only fitted to post TS 1500 or so, early cars didnt have them. Early sidescreen cars also had very flimsy battery locating brackets unlike later ones.

Stuart.

Good job we have you here keeping is straight Stuart !.

Surely it is better to sit the battery in a purpose-made plastic nappy, so if there should be any acid leakage, it won't eat the bodywork.

I'm sure that Moss and others will have such.

Ian Cornish

I actually forgot to drill mine and mounted the relay on the dashboard support bracket instead. Plastic battery tray liners are available, but you still need the drain hole for any water that gets in there.

Ralph.

On 7/7/2020 at 10:17 PM, Rodbr said:

Hi Ken,

The early cars had the same mounting point for the relay.

You do need to check the relay you intend to use, make sure the mount is on the side not the end.

Rod

Neither of my TR2s have an od relay. It isn't in the wiring diagram as far as I remember.

Wiring diagram for overdrive appears in "Supplementary Instructions for incorporating overdrive" in the Gearbox Section of the Workshop Manual 502602 - well, it does in my Third Edition (Sixth Printing).

Ian Cornish

21 hours ago, ianc said:

Wiring diagram for overdrive appears in "Supplementary Instructions for incorporating overdrive" in the Gearbox Section of the Workshop Manual 502602 - well, it does in my Third Edition (Sixth Printing).

Ian Cornish

You and Stuart are right. The wiring diagram in the Manual doesn't include the od (or relay) but it is all in the TR3 supplementary diagram I have. 

I wired my TR2 just 18 months ago and had forgotten how I had put it together. Not an unusual occurrence nowadays.

The relay on my long door is mounted on the firewall under the dash, near the original position but not under the battery tray. I can't remember where it is on the short door, I wired it in 1983.