TR6 Boot Floor Panel Ripples

Looking for practical feedback on fitting Heritage boot floor panels (either side of the wheel-well) on a TR6.  The pressings have ripples adjacent to the main raised section.  Fitted panels were rusted and plated over years ago, so I cannot see if these ripples were present on the original floor, (like the ripples on the front wheel-arch), or only on these later panels. If not like the original, then can they be removed with hammer and dolly, or better to a disguise with a skim of body filler?  Or do most folks just fit them as is and be grateful that these panels are still available?

Cut, remove excess , straighten, weld, dress, primer, paint, drive car.

Mick Richards

I would not care a bit about ripples as long as I have a decent fit and proper (butt) welds if I  would only do part-replacement.

Waldi

13 hours ago, RobinTR said:

Looking for practical feedback on fitting Heritage boot floor panels (either side of the wheel-well) on a TR6.  The pressings have ripples adjacent to the main raised section.  Fitted panels were rusted and plated over years ago, so I cannot see if these ripples were present on the original floor, (like the ripples on the front wheel-arch), or only on these later panels. If not like the original, then can they be removed with hammer and dolly, or better to a disguise with a skim of body filler?  Or do most folks just fit them as is and be grateful that these panels are still available?

Pictures?

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, the floor structure was extensively over-plated sometime in the 1980's due to severe rusting. Now not possible to save with let-in patches, hence the two new Heritage panels. 

Concours is not my aim, but I want to get as close to factory look as possible given the time I have already spent on the car. These ripples bug me, so I was thinking of working them out with a shrinking disc, or just dressing low, then applying a skim of filler.

Nothing of the original remains at these points, so I would appreciate any information/pictures indicating how these areas would have looked when new or after a good repair.

Pictures of the new floor panels are attached:

Boot Floor Ripples 1.jpg

Boot Floor Ripples 2.jpg

Hmm thats just poor pressings by the looks of it and definitely not original. I replaced some sections on one a while ago and they werent much better than that Im afraid (this is from 2006)

Stuart.

CR526 O 060.jpg

CR526 O 064.jpg

CR526 O 066.jpg

CR526 O 067.jpg

CR526 O 069.jpg

Hi Start, That is just the information I needed; a great help, thanks.  I'll see what I can do to smooth things out a little

Five minutes with a shrinking disc has made a great improvement... now just needs a slight skim of filler. Note that paint will be fully stripped back before finishing

Boot Floor No Ripples 1.jpg

Boot Floor No Ripples  2.jpg