who bought these from under me :rolleyes:

missing chokes on one and seized Etc

52D36316-B37F-4277-9F4C-D8CD9462CCA4.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Okay

who bought these from under me :rolleyes:

missing chokes on one and seized Etc

52D36316-B37F-4277-9F4C-D8CD9462CCA4.jpeg

What a shame, Hamish! A good price for rare Weber 42s.

Hi Hamish,

Are they a matched pair ? can you blow up the photo to compare the stampings ? even then you'd have to compare the progression drillings to e sure.

Mick Richards

Very close numbers mick

the missing chokes was too much of a gamble for me At those prices and I didn’t know what size the existing ones were I think I’d need 34’s

they were also selling a spare lid for a 42

5FE249BC-1251-47A0-8122-AD139EB68980.jpeg

0EAA0D3C-497F-42C9-A916-BE2F807BEB2C.jpeg

8 hours ago, Hamish said:

Very close numbers mick

the missing chokes was too much of a gamble for me At those prices and I didn’t know what size the existing ones were I think I’d need 34’s

they were also selling a spare lid for a 42

5FE249BC-1251-47A0-8122-AD139EB68980.jpeg

0EAA0D3C-497F-42C9-A916-BE2F807BEB2C.jpeg

I’ll preface my comment with an admission that I know diddly squat about Weber’s. 

You don’t want to know that There’s a pair of 34 mm chokes for DCOE’s on eBay at the moment. In any event, surely if you have one, you should be able to find someone who can manufacture a matching one. 

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian

i have seen a package of used chokes on eBay but the 42’s are ID for the DCOE 48.

i don’t know what the chokes were on the “complete” carb. But I know anything can be made. 

I know the chokes for the dcoe40’s are the same design for the 42’s but the wrong size ie 2mm too small 

and the 45’s are a different design so can’t be machined/turned down

is this correct ?

so you have to search for 42dcoe then also search for the correct chokes ?????

would someone in the know clarify this for me please.

im not really too sore about this it’s what eBay or is all about. But I can still live in dream land hope that a set will come up that others don’t notice that I can then afford.

I have contacted an acquaintance with a set from a Morgan but he is happy to leave them on the shelf in the garage whilst he has 45’s on the car. :(

19 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

Hi Hamish,

If you haven't aready got one, you may find that a 'Sniping' app makes buying things on eBay a bit easier.

Rgds Ian

I’ll have to have a look. But to be honest given what was missing and broken and seized With those carbs the bidding went beyond what I was comfortable with.

H

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

I’ll have to have a look. But to be honest given what was missing and broken and seized With those carbs the bidding went beyond what I was comfortable with.

H

Still worth the money though. Chokes arent difficult to have machined up.

Stuart.

31 minutes ago, stuart said:

Still worth the money though. Chokes arent difficult to have machined up.

Stuart.

I think you are right Stuart but for me a risk too far being on my first steps of learning these carbs

I'm right in thinking that the dhla40’s shouldn’t have a suffix letter for my 87mm bore car That is used in sprints ?

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

I think you are right Stuart but for me a risk too far being on my first steps of learning these carbs

I'm right in thinking that the dhla40’s shouldn’t have a suffix letter for my 87mm bore car That is used in sprints ?

Depends on the suffix and they can be modified to suit as its usually removable parts that make the difference or they can be redrilled to suit.

Stuart.

If it's performance at a cheap price the Dellorto DHLA 40s  are the model to go for, spares are available easily across their range.

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

If it's performance at a cheap price the Dellorto DHLA 40s  are the model to go for, spares are available easily across their range.

Mick Richards

But Mick it seems some are cheap because they are “emissions compliant” or turbo versions depending on the suffix.

so one needs to be careful as to the type it seems. 

H

50 minutes ago, Hamish said:

But Mick it seems some are cheap because they are “emissions compliant” or turbo versions depending on the suffix.

so one needs to be careful as to the type it seems. 

H

I have the emissions version on mine and I can assure you that doesnt make any difference to the way it goes! All that means is a couple of adjustments have seals on them, easily removed.

Stuart.

6 minutes ago, stuart said:

I have the emissions version on mine and I can assure you that doesnt make any difference to the way it goes! All that means is a couple of adjustments have seals on them, easily removed.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart Helps a lot to know a real world scenario works

appreciate the advice you and others share.

:D

47 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Thanks Stuart Helps a lot to know a real world scenario works

appreciate the advice you and others share.

:D

For me Hamish you are a brave man buying second hand of any type, I would go new 40s then over to Dennis Vessey to set up right he will not only do machine work and modify jets or change to suit.

Edited by ntc

Steve it’s definitely a great info resource that I have been studying for a while.