6 Cyl Damper - Will it or won't it?

I'm stripping the engine of my early 1968 TR5 as part of a complete car restoration.

See photos of the crank damper which must be 52/53 years old. The rubber does not look well, being obviously cracked.

My question is this. Is that ok to reuse without causing possible future failure?

Cue Mr Crank Damper - John Davies??

Dave McD

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

1 hour ago, ntc said:

Why not it maybe only the outside part that has perished 

That might be right Neil, but how do you know what the inner hidden part is like?

1 hour ago, peejay4A said:

I wouldn’t use it Dave. 

I know appearance wise it don't look good.

Does anyone know anything about the quality of replacements listed by the usual suppliers.

When I checked it with the cylinder head off and  a dial gauge to determine TDC on piston No 1 the damper TDC mark was spot on the marker on the front of the timing cover, so the outer hasn't slipped relative to the inner.

More comments welcome.

Dave McD

Thanks for the namecheck, Dave!

I've found that the appearance of the rubber in a damper pulley is a very bad guide to its function as a damper.    Only testing will tell.     

If you would like a test, Dave, contact me by PM?

Rubber is vulnerable to the elements. Fuel and oil exposure,  ozone, moisture, and maybe even some occasional UV light all can cause damage.  These are all surface effects, though, and a rubber surface of much age will usually show some degradation. These elements dont normally have a way to reach the internal working material, so if there is no evidence that the rim has spun on the hub, the damper is likely still fully functional.

I often wonder how well some of these generic replacement dampers are tuned to the specific application.

Ed

14 hours ago, ntc said:

Why not it maybe only the outside part that has perished 

i'm with Neil on this one Dave.

Roy

14 hours ago, ed_h said:

I often wonder how well some of these generic replacement dampers are tuned to the specific application.

Same here.

Richard Good offers a viscous damper claimed to enable another 600-800 rpm. Even at its bracing price I would consider it if I were certain of it lasting indefinitely ( I'm not ).

Tom

It could well be the outside (exposed) rubber is perished. If you want to know remove 1-2 mm of it and see what appears. If the cracks stop, I would not hesitate to use it. The “fresh” rubber may need longer to degrade that most of us will need (including myself) :)

Waldi

I will be facing the same dilemma soon.  One thing I had planned was to mount the damper, rotate the crank and check the circumference with a dial test gauge to see if there is any run out.  My engine was static for a long time, so I could imagine inconsistent swelling of the rubber if oil leaked to the low point.

Would appreciate any suggestions for a reliable replacement item 

On 7/5/2020 at 10:03 PM, john.r.davies said:

Thanks for the namecheck, Dave!

I've found that the appearance of the rubber in a damper pulley is a very bad guide to its function as a damper.    Only testing will tell.     

If you would like a test, Dave, contact me by PM?

John,

You have a PM.

Dave