Value of used engine parts

A quick question as I have no idea. I have a CP engine block which is standard which will require reboring to +10 thou or maybe +20 but anyway it's the genuine article as the pistons were all standard size originals. I also have the crank which has never been reground but will need a regrind to +10 too. My question is obviously how much should I advertise these items for as I've spent time stripping them ready now for a machine shop to do their bit - it is a spare engine and ideal for someone with a cracked block or damaged crank I'm sure. Thanks as always in advance to you learned people.

Michael

I think engines are worth more as compete units than broken into individual components, though others may have a different view.

I paid £380 for a slightly worn but complete 2.5 litre saloon engine on eBay a couple of years ago, which may be a benchmark.

Nigel

Well ain't hard to put back together as pistons are still attached to Conrods - just easier to carry with it all in pieces - couldn't put a complete bottom half triumph six engine in back of a car on your own for sure unless your Hercules and also thought it's easier to see what needs doing too hence me stripping it.

Michael

43 minutes ago, michaeldavis39 said:

Well ain't hard to put back together as pistons are still attached to Conrods - just easier to carry with it all in pieces - couldn't put a complete bottom half triumph six engine in back of a car on your own for sure unless your Hercules and also thought it's easier to see what needs doing too hence me stripping it.

Michael

Well you asked a question so I gave my opinion and some relevant experience on value.

'Complete Triumph CP series engine stripped for buyer's inspection' seems a good way to advertise it. Once again, just my opinion and yours will likely differ.

Nigel

39 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Well you asked a question so I gave my opinion and some relevant experience on value.

'Complete Triumph CP series engine stripped for buyer's inspection' seems a good way to advertise it. Once again, just my opinion and yours will likely differ.

Nigel

To be honest Nigel I’m with you on. This one if I’m looking to buy an engine for rebuild provided it turns over the I’d rather have one in a single lump than in bits heavy or not, but now it’s a ‘parts kit’ I would leave it as it as. Had a quick look on the bay and complete engines listed (not saying selling) for around £400 but as you don’t have a head and it’s now in bits £200-£250 my guess 

Stoneleigh is always a good place to sell that sort of stuff.

I live in the North East 180 miles away from Stoneleigh so won't be going there.Thanks anyway. I'm sticking to local pickup so if anyone wants them they can come to me with a friendly cup of tea and a biscuit as I won't be wrapping or sending via carrier such heavy items. Crank is now advertised and lots of folk seem interested but it will sell only once or I can keep as a spare no rush. I seem to be in the wrong part of the country for interest in these cars not to mention in the wrong age bracket- I'm the golf MK2 GTi generation actually and the TR6 was long in the tooth after I first saw one up here- TR7 was far more prominent I seem to remember in my area anyway, it's funny how I've ended up doing a full rebuild on a car that I'm not that interested in bizzare really but that's life haha.

Michael