The driver's side wiper on my '67 TR4A has failed. The spindle turns without the wiper arm attached but not with. The spindle also pulls out of the wheel box and I believe it should be part of it, (see photo). I'm assuming I need to fit a new wheel box....any guidance or advice before I start what seems to be a difficult job for accessibility. 

20200703_110607.jpg

Hi Dennis,

welcome to the forum.

Firstly you will need to remove the nearside wiper arm. Remove the motor and driving rack as one.

Remove the speedo and tacho and steering wheel.

There is a little square panel to be removed then you will see where the wheel box should be.

Do both wheel boxes. 

The plastic truncated piece underneath is often found to be broken.   item# 68  Truncated barrel

Not a difficult job but tedious.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Dennis,

Sorry to say, but in my opinion, replacing the wiper wheel boxes is the worst job on the entire car...! Access is the issue...you need to remove much of the dash hardware to access the little inspection plates on the firewall... 

Given your pic you have little choice... Our thoughts will be with you as we relax with a cold beer thinking of you upside down and contorted trying to access these spindles.

Dennis, I agree with Dave, wheel box replacement is my least favourite job on the 4A in 49+ years, not difficult but fiddly and time consuming. Removing the steering wheel and drivers seat as well as the speedo and tacho does help access to the RH box (on  RHD car) if, like me, you are 6'3" . Before fitting a replacement wheel box be sure to check that under high torque the pinion cannot part company with the rack - don't ask how I know! I refer you to the attached article and picture.

Tim

Testing Wheel Box.JPG

Wiper Miscellany, March 2019.docx

Before Triumph World was killed by the Corona virus, (sob!), I used to turn to Graham Robson’s column with the historic Triumph photos every month.     I was hoping to see a picture of the guy with three hands who worked on the production line installing wiper boxes. You need one hand to hold the wiper box, a second to hold the screws and a third to hold the screwdriver. When I rebuilt my 4A it was by far the most frustrating job of the build. If my wipers ever fail, I will buy a 4 gallon drum of Rain-X. Should see me out.