Hi guys,

Currently helping my dad out with his TR3 and we’re trying to get the slave cylinder attached back to the clutch lever however there is a gap of probably about 1 inch between the parts that need to go together (see attached photo). 

Has anyone ever had this problem before and if so, any ideas on what could have gone wrong/needs to be done? The holding down plate that the slave cylinder fits in is definitely on the correct side (checked with manual) so we’re struggling to come up with the reason why this is happening?!

Any help is appreciated :)

J

9C78B3F1-C4EF-4D08-854B-E85FBC9CC647.jpeg

What was the reason for the work, if rebuild are they the correct parts, if a service job i.e clutch change. What started the job off ?

If you provide this you may get more detailed help.

Check your chassis number as after 13046 the slave goes on the front of the mounting plate according to the Moss catelogue drawing.

What the hell is the heavy spring on the gearbox clutch arm. It should be a much lighter spring that attaches to the mounting plate after the cylinder is bolted on. There should be a tab with a tiny hole that attaches to the cotter pin where you are trying to fit it and then back to support plate

Also the piston needs to be able to depress, if not there wont be clearance to operate the clutch. adjustment is done as final job.

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Welcome to the forum - do you have a name we can use?

The only thing I can think of is that the slave piston isn't pushed fully back in the cylinder. If there is fluid in the cylinder perhaps you have a blockage preventing it getting back to the master cylinder so the piston won't retract properly?  You could try opening the bleed valve if that is the case. 

That spring and bolt arrangement looks odd - what is that about?

It should look similar to this (this is a non-standard retract spring though and its a 3A so the cylinder mounts on the front):

image.png.a56b0db730475cdee8cb4112cee2fed7.png

Edited by RobH
2 hours ago, MaltaTriumph said:

9C78B3F1-C4EF-4D08-854B-E85FBC9CC647.jpeg

I wonder if someone has added a large spring to assist the clutch pedal. Pulling in that direction it would be helping overcome the force needed to press the clutch pedal a small amount maybe, but also hold the release bearing in permanent contact with the clutch. Also the washer is blocking the center hole of the operating arm which is the correct position for the clevis pin, but again the lower hole would reduce the pressure needed on the pedal.

Ralph.

You mention that the slave cylinder is on the correct side according to the WSM. Be aware that the WSM shows the early car and in the later cars the slave cylinder should be located on the other side of the gearbox flange. 

Rgds Ian

On 7/4/2020 at 11:44 AM, RobH said:

image.png.a56b0db730475cdee8cb4112cee2fed7.png

I put my "non paid worker" cylinder on the same side as the one shown (post 60000 3a). If it was moved to the engine side of the flange the support rod would not have fitted, but I did have to shorten the operating rod otherwise the piston hit the back of the cylinder before I could line the clevis holes up. I assumed I had the cylinder in the right place and the wrong operating rod. If fitted on the other side I presume you would need spacers around the bolts to stop the bell housing cover plate being crushed. Was the change from the dumpy Lockheed cylinder to the Girling item the reason for the change of mounting position.

Mine is working fine now in the same position as in RobH`s picture above. 

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
Additional paragraph.

I think you have got yourself a little confused, the spring holds the clutch release bearing away from the forks and pushes the piston back into the slave cylinder. The piston starts it's stroke from the bottom and pushes the shaft out to release the clutch . The fluid will push the piston out to the circlip when it is not connected to the clutch leaver so to set it up you need to push it all the way back in.

Graham 

• 2 years later...

Any comments on early Tr3b cars with tr3 engine but full synchro tranny utilized in tr4. Is is true that the larger tr4 engines used in most tr4 engines has a thicker slave mounting bracket….and….is it also true that the re4 slave did not use an external spring.?

1 hour ago, Gerxke said:

Any comments on early Tr3b cars with tr3 engine but full synchro tranny utilized in tr4. Is is true that the larger tr4 engines used in most tr4 engines has a thicker slave mounting bracket….and….is it also true that the re4 slave did not use an external spring.?

It is the same part no for all girling equiped mounting brackets, but there is a different part no for the Lockheed cars.

The pull off spring is only listed for spring clutches, the part is omitted from cars with diaphragm clutches.

Ralph