For the first time in many years I have not seen much buzz out there regarding F1 which restarts this weekend, has F1 lost much of its audience? 

Or is it just the the associated advertising cannot be made in lockdown and the overall exposure is so much less?

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I don't follow F1 closely but would probably watch at least a few of the races each season if I could - but since 2019 I can't do that as it's moved to Sky Sports and I'm not a subscriber. It looks like that led to a big fall in UK viewing figures last year and maybe explains why there's less general media coverage around it?

It's obviously part of the global shift of F1 off free-to-air and onto pay-TV and pay-online over the past decade, with big drops in viewing numbers (unless you use F1's distorted definition of 'viewers' that makes the numbers look good for potential advertisers despite the actual number of individual viewers going down). It does look like the days of massive audiences for live F1 events are over.

But of course the aim of F1 isn't to maximise the number of people interested in and watching the 'sport', it's to make the most amount of money. The average age of F1 watchers is apparently getting older, and older people generally have more purchasing power so are more attractive to advertisers.

Nigel

I look forward to the new Aston Martin / stannah  stairlift Livery