TR3A starter issue

Hey folks, 

A ham-handed mechanic did something wrong while starting my TR and blew all the parts off the neck of my starter.  The bad new is that they found their way into the transmission housing.  Any ideas on how to retrieve them?

Sid

Homeland, CA

Hello old Sid? and welcome to our forum.

Had this very issue on a TR4 A, remove the cover plate at the bottom of the bell housing, four bolts

including the clutch slave cylinder mounting bracket, and with a telescopic magnet, go fishing!

We got everything, including the broken split pin, assembled them on the bench in order, to ensure

we had left nothing, quite straightforward really.

John.

Welcome to the forum. You were lucky - on my 3A the bits and pieces exited the aluminium bell housing making a considerable hole. However I managed to find everything on the garage floor and put it all back together using fibreglass epoxy.

It was the split pin that had worn/broken that caused the incident.I fitted a high torque starter motor replacement.

james

Edited by james christie