After bending them straight, its time to refit the strengthening assemblies at the front and rear of the bonnet.

All appears well and its certainly stiffened the whole assembly.

I did notice that the strut that fits along the opposite side to the carb bulge, can be fitted two ways, either just after the first hole and running almost parallel down the bonnet.

Or after the second hole and then runs a little diagonally, why? see pics 

P1080004.JPG

P1080005.JPG

P1080006.JPG

Edited by pfenlon
more info.
19 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pete,

Graham found this conundrum. The straight route is TR5 and the angle strut is 4/4A

Roger

red one is a 4 bonnet,  only 1 hole from the side of the bonnet,  4a/5 are 2 holes from the edge 

Got this wrong red one its a 4a/250/5 bonnet one hole from side of bonnet 4's normally 2 holes from side of bonnet 

Edited by Graham

Sorry got that totally wrong just been out to the garage 1 hole from the side of the bonnet 4a 250 and 5 2 holes from side of the bonnet Tr4 .....In addition Tr4 Bonnets won’t have the sockets for the locating cones at the scuttle end 

This is what I believe to be a TR4 bonnet despite the 4/4a listing note no locating fittings for ‘locating cones’  and location of longitudinal strut 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tr4-4a-bonnet-Original-Rust-Free-L-K/402315308479?hash=item5dabdc6dbf:g:IccAAOSwssdeje6p

13 hours ago, Graham said:

This is what I believe to be a TR4 bonnet despite the 4/4a listing note no locating fittings for ‘locating cones’  and location of longitudinal strut 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tr4-4a-bonnet-Original-Rust-Free-L-K/402315308479?hash=item5dabdc6dbf:g:IccAAOSwssdeje6p

I think my bonnet is the same as the one you describe but with the cones fitted. when the bonnet in your pic was made the "Cones" were flat rubbers and not conical.

theres a gap here somewhere.

16 minutes ago, pfenlon said:

I think my bonnet is the same as the one you describe but with the cones fitted. when the bonnet in your pic was made the "Cones" were flat rubbers and not conical.

theres a gap here somewhere.

Pete 

Sure you are correct as given Triumphs history in these matters sure there will be late TR4's with 4a style bonnets and early 4a's with 4 style bonnets and then a few in the middle that might have an early scuttle re enforcer coupled with a latter style of longitudinal strut fitting, then throw in nearly 60 years of ad hoc body repairs and I don't think any of us will unpick it all ! :D

Edited by Graham