any remedy to damaged threads?

One of the studs that support my differential will not take the required bolt torque. ..probably because I damaged the thread whilst cleaning it ! (Yes idiot does come to mind!!) Is there a remedy for this apart from cutting out the stud and welding a new one back in? Thanks in anticipation

Hi Mike,

if the longer nuts do not work then it may be possible to apply weld material  to the stud and re-tap it.

Leave some original thread at the bottom (or the top)  so the die can take hold.  File to apprx OD to give the die a chance.

Roger

35 minutes ago, Mike JOnes said:

thanks Roger.... I am still smouldering having made  this stupid error

I shouldn't worry about that Mike, try grabbing a pair of screwdriver to stuff into the open carb orifices on a TR4 and manually  lift a pair of 2" SU pistons to max lift on a running rolling road churning at 4000 revs and then hearing Trrickitik trik tilk and shouting to turn it off and as the final revs die...clunk Tsssssss as water cascades through the exhaust manifolds...dead.

Just imagine how you feel when you pull the head to inspect at home to see a screwdriver magnetic tip embedded into the piston crown near the edge = scrap, and a cracked liner = scrap, and a cracked squish area on the race head = scrap and then just to round it off when rebuilding a frantic 2 weeks later finding the top of the piston with a 4thou lean on it which means a bent conrod = scrap.

You do learn, In this case it means don't go anywhere near open carbs with replaceable tip screwdrivers or anything else that can get put/sucked into there. I started saving a "black museum" of items I'd broken or over modded whilst trying to make the car quicker but after 2 years scrapped it because I was running out of space !

Experience teaches you how to avoid making bad decisions, and bad decisions are what gives you the experience to avoid making the self same bad decisions.

Mick Richards

1 minute ago, Drewmotty said:

“Sacrifices to the God of Speed”

Bert Monroe

Don't we know it Bert ! (excellent film).

Mick Richards

Hi Mike

Might be talking rubbish but how about tapping the thread with a metric or UCF which ever gives the best chance of a decent new thread? Practice first on a bolt the same as the diff pin in a vice that way you don't end up with no option but to replace the pin which would be a real P--- in the A---.

Andy

How about cutting off the thread, drill and tap and insert a new stud. Or weld on a new threaded end.

It is possible to replace the mounting pins, but you need to remove the fuel tank and cut a hole in the floor.

Jerry

Hi Mike,

make the new threaded section with a good bit of plain shank. 

Put a decent chamfer on both parts and when screwed up tight weld the chamfered area and file back smooth.  No need for Loktite.

Put nuts on the threaded area while welding to stop spatter 

Roger

Edited by RogerH
typo

TBH If the body is off I would replace the pin first as last, then your never going to get a problem again.

Stuart.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:48 AM, stuart said:

TBH If the body is off I would replace the pin first as last, then your never going to get a problem again.

Stuart.

20 hours ago, mtrehy said:

you've got the body off - it's a doddle to put a new stud in. why would you even think about doing anything else?

With body off it's a No Brainer to replace it.

Dave McD