Checking TR4 valve timing inquiry

Hi Mates

I put a new camshaft in my TR4 using the old sprocket marking, the engine was in the car ,I didn't time it at the time , but it runs lumpy and couldn't get a good tick over ,,  later I put the carbies / manifold on another car and they ran good on that one,, so  now I want to check the cam lobes open/'close etc, tried to do a while ago but no success w/ the engine in the car ,,but thinking about now maybe take the starter off and mark TDC and use the teeth numbers  to get degrees , or if anyone has a better idea would be great, thanks in advance for any replies

Barry 

Here is the principle.

https://www.macysgarage.com/cam degree.htm

You have the head on so the existing valve gear can be measured off instead of using dummy push rods.

Find TDC of the crank. There is a pointer and a drilled hole in the crank pulley that align at TDC - if the pulley is assembled correctly - or Use a TDC finder   https://www.wikihow.com/Find-Your-Engine's-Top-Dead-Center-(TDC)

Fit timing disc and marker and off you go.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Blue--

Thanks for the tips, my main problem at the time was to get a good look, "square on" at the sprocket, having looked at the starter hole, that's not good either, will let you know how I get on--Barry 

No 1 Piston top dead centre both valves/ rockers closed  No 4 valves/rockers equal lift on the rock.

I did this and both the sprockets lined up just to check it.

If it does not work I have cocked up.

Standard parts nothing fancy on my TR4. Timed my TR5 with a timing disc and pointer as per book.

Regards Harry