^  +1 with Roger, I use the electric jack anywhere where a controlled lift is required, the remote control (cable) allows placement under cars, caravans or in garage delicate lifts as per Roger's gearbox into the car where angling the gearbox is a fundamental part of refitting.

Mick Richards 

25 minutes ago, Mark69 said:

667F063D-BA0A-411A-949E-1F73E5AD7497.thumb.jpeg.8f131c3c94b03e911780e018d705fb3b.jpegpicked these two up for a fiver, think I shall use the one on the right. Have no idea where the jack up points are.

I have the original jack which is more or less what you have there, it works and if you are 20 or even 40 it's ok but at 70 on a wet winters night!!

George 

George,

well I’m neither 20 ,40 or 70 But somewhere between the latter, and can’t imagine using it on a cold , wet winters night ;).

But what concerns me is the location of the jack point, I don’t recall seeing anything on the chassis.

I wouldn’t think it safe to jack from the chassis rails.

Find the largest scissor jack you can find, remember it needs to be able to get quite low,

a TR with a flat is not a long way from the road!

Alter the saddle as per the picture, I used 20 x 20 x 3mm angle, and while you have the welder out, fix a spare wheel nut on to the jack screw, then your wheel brace doubles as the jack tool.

John.

tr jack (2).JPG

tr jack 3.JPG

1 hour ago, Mark69 said:

George,

well I’m neither 20 ,40 or 70 But somewhere between the latter, and can’t imagine using it on a cold , wet winters night ;).

But what concerns me is the location of the jack point, I don’t recall seeing anything on the chassis.

Hi Mark,

what made me buy my electric scissor jack was  avoiding a nutter in a Porsche.

Going home from a club meet in March about five years ago. Dark, wet, windy,  narrowish busy road.

A Porsche came up tit he junction of a side road at about 'light speed'  and stopped dead. This made me move away from the junction into the centre of the road.

Sadly there was a  small island with a dimly lit keep left bollard. I missed the bollard but my off side front and rear tyres hit the island kerb

The front tyre was damaged with a bump sticking out.

The rear tyre had a 1" diameter hole in the side wall.   Aerosol puncture repair would need the can stuck in the hole.

I got the 4A half off the road but trying to jack it up with cars whizzing by was both difficult and dangerous. 

The electric jack would have reduced the effort and reduced my exposure to the traffic.

Bugger originality - get the electric jack.

Roger

13 hours ago, RogerH said:

HI Chris,

seriously consider one of these  Electric Jack

Worth their weight in gold on a dark wet night.

Also handy for gearbox removal / insert

Roger

Hi Roger,

I have never seen one of those! I now know what I want for my birthday?

Bruce.

4 hours ago, Mark69 said:

George,

Mark,

That's the advantage of an electric jack...with electric remote control (by cable) it can be positioned in areas where you can't normally reach the jack to screw it up if the manual version. It's got enough length of cable to allow the scissor jack to be positioned pretty well anywhere on the vehicle, either under front crossmember or front spring pans or rear axle (tube or spring plates or even the diff). Oh...it's also got a 2 ton lift capacity (proven by lifting my neighbours 4x4 front end when the tyres had been vandalised) which is comforting. As Roger says ( I bought mine upon Rogers say so...he's correct...again) £47 on e bay, (3 years ago) well worth the money and a useful tool to be used anywhere garage or out on the car, it also allows you to lift the car after placing the jack and remain stood up at the side of the car watching for kamikaze drivers that don't spot a disabled car, safety wise not to be sniffed at.

Mick Richards

17 hours ago, RogerH said:

HI Chris,

seriously consider one of these  Electric Jack

Worth their weight in gold on a dark wet night.

Also handy for gearbox removal / insert

Roger

Hi, Roger, Thank you for the link I have just ordered one. I have been looking for a solution to the "normal" scissor jack for a while now sorted:)

Cheers Phil

I can't take the praise for this wonder of wonders.

When I asked for help a couple of years back Robin Powell (TRR forum contributor) Came to the rescue.

The forum works a treat. when in need

Roger