Fuel sender and E fuels.

For info:-

I installed a new sender unit the other week but hadn't connected the rest of the system. Its EFI with a home brewed fuel setup.

I had a growing unease about the sensor output so pulled it out to wire an earth lead to the float arm. The rubber ring round the float fell off. I found another the correct size and fitted that.

TRactions article on E10 fuels jolted my brain. That rubber ring that fell off now fits my old sender but i just put it in fuel to soak and after about 1 hour it had swollen and would fall off.

So current fuels have probably made you rings swell. I think they are only to stop the noise if the float hits the bottom of the tank. The seal to the tank is well constrained so any swelling is probably only going to seal better but durability might suffer.

Not sure what the original fuel hoses were made of but its probably a good idea to have a look around. That includes the filler pipe and the breather hose.

Im running a V8 with aftermarket fuel pump so im not that familiar with the std fuel pump but do keep an eye on things.

• 1 year later...

Hi, just replaced the fuel sender on my 7, never mind either E5/10 fuel degrading our cars, after 40 years the cars been run on 4* and unleaded with Castrol valvemaster. The old rubber seal between the tank and sender was like liquorice, melted away with only parts of the seal intact, I was surprised there was no fuel leakage.

Moral is, change your fuel pipes to E5/E10 compliant.