Wind Deflector

12 hours ago, SteveG said:

What is the best wind deflector for a TR6?

Here's the first opinion Steve - I would say the Breezebreaker, made by club member Chris Russell but unfortunately Chris stopped making them a few years ago. There are two types depending on whether you have standard or MX5 seats fitted - the MX5 version sits a little higher to allow for the headrest height.

Here's my TR6 fitted with both types, they pop up on eBay or offered by members on here from time to time:

Cheers, Andrew

IMG_20110305_131548.thumb.jpg.a676d7da3a6f0c40dd3edfbf4e2bda8b.jpg

1788404619_46465548095_4c4106d866_o(2).thumb.jpg.61946635c08733481829c9e18e48bc08.jpg

Edited by Andrew Smith
1 hour ago, DRD said:

Here's mine, I got it from a German company on Ebay. Does make a big improvement to comfort at higher speeds. 

20200614_121415.jpg

I have the same one (I think) but was initially disappointed as it wasn't as effective as I had hoped (and experienced in previous open top cars) and, as your photo shows, sits much lower than the breeze breaker.  

And so I made some extention bars to raise it a coupe of inches  and this has dramatically reduced the wind noise and buffetting while still fitting under the hood.   

Edited by Hawk
47 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Just checked my receipt folder and I bought mine from https://www.airax.de/en/windblocker/triumph/?p=1&n=48

The often advertise on ebay and are open to offers ;) 

Yes I think I got it for a few quid lower than advertised. I found it works noticeably better when the windows are up.

NB: I've got MX5 seats which are higher anyway with the headrests set quite high, so maybe it does appear a little lower in that photo.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, SteveG said:

Just bought the airmax one. Thanks for the help.

Any feedback Steve?  Assuming you've had time to fit and drive.

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought my 6 it had one of those tall screen things. It was a hazard to low flying aircraft and looked absolutely shite, even with headrests. So I attacked it with a hacksaw and drill and now it is slightly more to my liking.

My recommendation is buy a tall one and mangle it to suit.

14 minutes ago, Richard Green 54 said:

When I bought my 6 it had one of those tall screen things. It was a hazard to low flying aircraft and looked absolutely shite, even with headrests. So I attacked it with a hacksaw and drill and now it is slightly more to my liking.

My recommendation is buy a tall one and mangle it to suit.

If you're 5'6" the higher one will look 'shite', but if not, and you do a lot then of touring then the height will be appreciated I can assure you.

9 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

If you're 5'6" the higher one will look 'shite', but if not, and you do a lot then of touring then the height will be appreciated I can assure you.

Are you being shortist Andrew?:huh: From where I'm standing (on a box), 5' 6" is a great height to be :D 

10 hours ago, Richard Green 54 said:

I bought a hat.

If I could up-vote you  Richard, I would !   :D

Hi folks. IMHO if you fit a wind deflector and drive around with the windows UP!, you have nothing more than a Sun Roof ,not a convertible.  I agree the wind deflectors do work and if her indoors has her way eventually, I will fit one. The windows will remain down though.

JMHO flack jackets not required.

Paul

7 hours ago, Harbottle said:

Hi folks. IMHO if you fit a wind deflector and drive around with the windows UP!, you have nothing more than a Sun Roof ,not a convertible.  I agree the wind deflectors do work and if her indoors has her way eventually, I will fit one. The windows will remain down though.

JMHO flack jackets not required.

Paul

When working with the MG F accessory development team I saw the wind tunnel tests on a mx5 and the fitment of the windbreaker improved the vehicle coefficient of drag over roof down only.

Stops long hair being blown round your head and into face.

Mesh type was considerably better than Perspex sheet in those tests.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
Just now, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Stops long hair being blown round your head and into face

Some of us on the forum can only wish...........:unsure:

Does the mesh deflector alter the vortex effect from the rear of the TR6 swirling exhaust fumes into the car?
Ian

Hi Ian,

Interesting you ask. I have no deflector, but reading all experiences on here about that, I installed a standard exhaust (although SS) to replace the wheel barrow system that was on the car when I bought it.

I never drove with that, but with this Std system, there is no exhaust smell, really nothing during most of the drive. Only with tailwind when moving slow, which is explainable. 
I also installed an air tight fire wall in front of the boot, maybe this helps too as no fumes from boot can enter the cockpit.

On a side note:
My boot is not “fume-free“ as I hoped after paying great attention to that during my rebuild:(

Best regards,

Waldi

7 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Ian,

Interesting you ask. I have no deflector, but reading all experiences on here about that, I installed a standard exhaust (although SS) to replace the wheel barrow system that was on the car when I bought it.

I never drove with that, but with this Std system, there is no exhaust smell, really nothing during most of the drive. Only with tailwind when moving slow, which is explainable. 
I also installed an air tight fire wall in front of the boot, maybe this helps too as no fumes from boot can enter the cockpit.

On a side note:
My boot is not “fume-free“ as I hoped after paying great attention to that during my rebuild:(

Best regards,

Waldi

Waldi, is the seam on your boot seal at the top or bottom( near the gas tank, or the boot latch)?

i understand that having it at the top, and maybe sealing the gap can help.  Also the taillight seals are important.

Graham

Edited by Graham J