Racing engine

18 hours ago, Matt1969 said:

It's me again! Just trying to work through all my problems. I have an occasional racing engine. The throttle cable and the rail on the engine look OK. Its a fuel injecting model. Any ideas? Matt from Eyam

Hello Matt from Eyam,

not sure what ideas you are looking for? Ideas on what to do with the engine??

Jochem

I think your thread title is confusing people.

I am assuming that you mean you have an erratic idle, so probably an air leak or throttle butterfly issue - try a search on here and you should find plenty of info.

Jerry

The revs on the engine is controlled by the six butterflies on the throttle bodies. If air gets into the engine the injection will automatically inject more fuel and the engine will rev.

The problem, if not a sticking throttle is usually air leak, often on the inlet manifold - start by checking manifold bolts are secure. Could be leaking vacuum hoses to servo,  or the seals around the injectors; it is just a case of working your way through the components.. 

You commented on the occasional nature of the problem, air leaks would typically be a constant problem therefore I would also revisit the possibility of a sticking throttle mechanism on the throttle bodies.

Alan

Does the cam for the fast idle always return fully when the choke is pushed in, these can stick on the head of the adjuster bolt. When the idle is higher push down one at a time on each butterfly spindle stop, only a slight movement can make a rev difference.

Rob

3 minutes ago, Robert Price said:

Does the cam for the fast idle always return fully when the choke is pushed in, these can stick on the head of the adjuster bolt. When the idle is higher push down one at a time on each butterfly spindle stop, only a slight movement can make a rev difference.

Rob

+1 for the fast idle cam suggestion. Had this problem a few weeks ago.

I had an engine that raced occasionally - when the throttle pedal caught on the carpet.

Made an almighty din starting up outside the World Peace Cafe in N Yorkshire. 6300rpm on the rev limiter witht he throttles wide open was far from peaceful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 3:26 AM, Andy Moltu said:

6300rpm on the rev limiter witht he throttles wide open was far from peaceful.

:lol:

On 7/2/2020 at 4:10 PM, Richard Green 54 said:

+1 for the fast idle cam suggestion. Had this problem a few weeks ago.

If I pull the choke to the limit it will get stuck = racing engine