Tr Sides screen bumper irons

Hi Mike,

I was pretty sure that was the case. I am trying to use them to make a template for TR2 irons.

I need a template for the main part of the TR2 bumper irons from the 90 degree part to chassis bolt holes.

Even basic measurements of this section would be good as I can get them made from that. I never had a set for my TR2 so working blind.

Thanks

Rod

Interesting comment about the Moss ones Mike, I have a set and they don't fit my 1957 TR3. There doesn't seem to be enough 'curvature' to get under the apron.

I was told by Moss that it must be my car because no one else had complained, still hoping to come across an original set so that I can test their assertion and maybe fit my bumper....

Plan B was to butcher the Moss ones and make them fit but I haven't attempted that yet.

Hi Malcolm,

I heard the same thing about the Moss ones and have avoided them like the plague. 

I only want the bit before the bend for the bumper mount and cut this off.

Anyone with a Tr3 or TR2 that has bumpers fitted perhaps could take a pic for me and a scale or length measurement I would be grateful. i can make the rest as I need it.

Rod

Hi Malcolm,

Jusr responding to your comments about the Moss bumper iron you have recently purchased.

As you're aware, I purchased a right inner bumper iron from Moss for my 3 recently. The upward curve has a slightly steeper upward gradient than my original left inner iron but it does fit reasonably well under the front apron. My main concern is that it only just passes under the apron allowing a gap of about 5mm on max adjustment. I've been thinking of extending the two slots on the iron that the two bolts from the chassis fix to in order to give more adjustment and increased clearance from the apron. I've attached a couple of photos to show how the bumper irons fit - you can just about see the left inner iron in the distance and how simialr the profile is.

The reason I replaced the right inner was because I had one already fitted to the car which is of a completely different profile - it does however, fit very well under the apron without any risk of the iron coming into contact with it, even in a shunt - but it has the problem of holding the bumper too near to the grill - unless again I increase the length of the two fixing slots at the inner end of the iron. I've attached a photo of this iron fyi. I've no idea what it originally came off - it was on my car when I acquired it - but in my view it is a much better profile and I'd love another for the left side.

Trust this sheds some light on your issue.

Regards,

JeffRIMG_4025.thumb.JPG.a8849fc01c5cd3584dba848f084501f5.JPGIMG_4023.thumb.JPG.0eb4aeaf8e89da19d9092aebe5d4411f.JPG

Thanks Jeff, the ones that I have actually catch the apron, and from memory I would have to elongate the front fixing holes but the bumper would then sit too low.

A couple of people offered to lend me a set so that I could find a blacksmith and alter the Moss ones, but neither offer came through for various reasons so at the moment I don't have an accurate reference to work from. I had even wondered about welding a plate onto the chassis end, above the existing holes to try and get a better angle but haven't looked at whether it would really work or not!

Of course Moss could be right and my car could be wrong......

Thanks again,

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I must say, I'm not entirely satisfied with the iron from Moss. As you can see in the photos the profile is slightly different from the original on the left side but while the bumper is horizontal and at the correct height, the bumper iron is too near the apron for comfort, especially as it is at the extreme limited of its adjustment on the slots. The slightest bump will push the iron into the apron. The original iron on the leftside has a lower gradient on its upward curve and has much more adjustment on the slots - it will adjust further out from the apron by at least another 10mm.

Your idea about using a blacksmith to fashion an iron is potentially a great solution. There is a blacksmith just a few miles from me so I may take the iron of unknown origin to him to see what he'd charge for fashioning another for the left side. The style of these irons are well clear of the apron and at the correct height for the 3.

Here are some pictures of the Moss iron versus my original. As a complete set perhaps they would fit, but certainly were not a match for ones that came with my 56. I did correspond with Moss and they followed up (see attached).  I made a cardboard copy of the iron and also had my son do a CAD model of the irons but I can't find either of these.

Cheers, Mike

Bumper Spring_1 (Medium).jpg

Bumper Spring_2 (Medium).jpg

Bumper Spring_3 (Medium).jpg

802-500 and 802-510 January fitment results to poor fitment issue reported to Moss.pdf

Hi Mike,

#if I could get a drawing of the basic shape  of the shallow bend one I can make what I want.

Does this one clear the apron with some distance?

Rod

1430932759_BumperSpring_1(Medium).jpg.149429cf44ed9c2ecd3056c75158dad6.jpg

Hi Mike,

The shallow iron you show looks the same as the one in the third photo in my post above. This was already fitted to the car when I acquired it 29 years ago, as was the leftside iron shown in my photo 1 above. So, one of each - which is correct?

I took it that the iron in photo one was correct as it is illustrated in the parts manual - albeit I prefer the shape and fit of the shallow iron (photo 3). Maybe there was a change in design soon after the launch of the TR3. Mine is an original RHD was built in October 1955 - one of the first.

Regards,

JEFFR

My son still had the CATIA file, but not sure he still has access that the software to export it to another format. Here is the file if anyone can access it and manage to export to something more useful.

I have looked for my cardboard cutout I made of the bumper shape and can't find it anywhere. Will keep an eye out for it though.

Cheers, Mike

BUMPER BRACKET (1).CATPart

1 hour ago, Rodbr said:

Hi Mike,

#if I could get a drawing of the basic shape  of the shallow bend one I can make what I want.

Does this one clear the apron with some distance?

Rod

1430932759_BumperSpring_1(Medium).jpg.149429cf44ed9c2ecd3056c75158dad6.jpg

Yep, that is the correct one and it fits fine. Here are some pictures from when I fitted the bumper. There is about 2 inches clearance between irons and body work. Cheers, Mike

IMGP8397 (Medium).jpeg

IMGP8398 (Medium).jpeg

IMGP8400 (Medium).jpeg

Hi Mike,

Thanks for you pictures but none of this gets me closer to any measurements..

can you possibly give me a minimum length for the following.

1 horizontal length from start of bend to chassis bolt hole end.

2 Thickness of the bar used

3 Width of the bar.

4 Approximate angle of the bar as it sweeps up.

The above refer to the bar marked "this one" in my annotated version of your picture.

many thanks in anticipation.

Rod

Rod ... still working on this. Can't get at my car just now as in storage still this year. Hoping to get that CAD file opened and exported to something more useful. My cardboard model is also still managing to hid somewhere. All very frustrating, as I should be able to provide help you need. Cheers, Mike