I have just received a new tank connector.  It is a short black very rigid tube and can not be manipulated into any position other than direct and vertical. My tank and filler cap do not line up . I have tried tilting the tank as advised  here on the forum, but even with a 1" lift at the front it is not lining up. My new connector is very rigid and will never fit. The existing hose , which has small leaks, is very flexible and  it can be encouraged to move over about 1" or more to line up. It is ribbed and flexible.  Where can I find a suitable replacement that will be compatible with petrol ? 

Thanks Richard & B

I havent had any problem with the TR Shop offering though you normally have to shorten it slightly and a piece of wood to lever the rear deck up a bit helps too.

Stuart.

Thanks for the answers. Even if I could persuade it to slide in I think that it would be too short. I am looking for a flexible material. I can not remember where I bought the existing one. When I use a can some petrol does get on to the connection and has left a deposit on the tank inside the boot, which I found by accident. Maybe I should try some silicon sealer on the existing connection or be more careful in future.

Thanks Richard & B.

Edited by Richardtr3a
Spelling
3 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

My tank is forward from the filler by at least 50%. I have tried timber and could not line it up at all. 

Is the fuel outlet at the base lined up OK?

Just had this issue with an alicool tank and had to grind the hole in the floor below the tank bigger.

Peter W

Yes it all lined up at the base and has been for many years. I have found a flexible 2" hose but I will have to cut it in half to get anywhere near a fit and it is £13.50 Unless any one can point me to a new seller.

Thanks Richard & B

Can`t understand why your tank filler is so far out unless it has been made with the filler in the wrong place. I just packed mine up at the front until it lined up and the short rubber pipe just slid on. By the way, don`t use silicone near fuel, it expands and goes mushy, makes a right mess. Don`t ask how I know!!!.

Ralph.

I wonder if you have the right tank, the TR3a tank is different from the TR2/3 unit. It does require the outlet pipe to be moved from centre to left side but perhaps someone has done this? Fitting a later tank to an earlier car also needs spacers (iro 3/4"") fitting between the boot floor and the lower part of the tank.

If you cannot sort out the tank mounting then perhaps consider cutting the thick tube and fitting a steel joiner that has a suitable off-set in it. There may be room for 4 pipes clips, may be. What ever, it's important that the tank neck is not under any load and everything is suitable for ethanol, agree with Ralph, have the T shirt!

The other possibility depends on the chassis number of your car Richard, if its a post TS60k or pre as the late tank doesnt sit right in an earlier car and vice versa.

Stuart.

I have just checked my tank and the one in the car has the outlet at the RHs, drivers , side. I can remember when fitting it that the original was in the middle and I had to make up a new petrol pipe. This is surprising because I can not remember much and have to check what day of the week it is sometimes. The body of the car is post 60k with the raised plinths

I tried lifting the front edge and I would need more than 1" to make any impact and then the straps would not be long enough. This would mean welding or longer bolts. 

So I have ordered a flexible fuel filler which is 300mm long with a neck at each end. My current plan is to cut it in half and use the neck on the tank and the cut end on the filler. The one that I took off is only a corrugated length with no neck and has been working well for a very long time. If the spare can is splashing petrol about the potential for leakage would be at the tank connection. As long as this works I will have the second half for a spare in the future. How can I store it to prevent degrading? I have a spare tank in the garage but can not get at it at the moment.

The easiest route seems to be fit the new connector and hope for the best.

Thanks Richard & B

54 minutes ago, stuart said:

The other possibility depends on the chassis number of your car Richard, if its a post TS60k or pre as the late tank doesnt sit right in an earlier car and vice versa.

Stuart.

The rear half of my body came from a Swiss write off TR in London and has raised plinths and the front is comm. no. 28874. Trying to make the doors fit has been a very long effort as standards change over the years . What was OK in 1986, when I won the Concours at the International, is now considered a project for the body shop experts. 

Richard & B

28 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

The rear half of my body came from a Swiss write off TR in London and has raised plinths and the front is comm. no. 28874. Trying to make the doors fit has been a very long effort as standards change over the years . What was OK in 1986, when I won the Concours at the International, is now considered a project for the body shop experts. 

Richard & B

That will explain it then, you have the wrong tank, you have an early tank fitted to a late rear end. You will need a later tank PT No 303999.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. My Moss catalogue says that  303999 has the connector on the bottom RHS which mine has. Anyway I can not spend that much and I will continue with my flexible hose for now. It has been OK for many years and hopefully my modification will last a long time.

Thanks Richard & B

19 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

I have just checked my tank and the one in the car has the outlet at the RHs, drivers , side. I can remember when fitting it that the original was in the middle and I had to make up a new petrol pipe. This is surprising because I can not remember much and have to check what day of the week it is sometimes. The body of the car is post 60k with the raised plinths

So the original was an early type tank, and you have fitted a later type tank which should be right for a post 60000 car, but methinks as the car has had the rear body from another car, is the boot floor the early type and the plinths could have been added to make it look right. Sounds as if you need the early type tank not the late one. Incidentally I have just bought a late type tank that came from a pre 60000 car, so you can`t tell from the commision numbers as many have been re built over the years with whatever was available at the time.

Ralph

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

So the original was an early type tank, and you have fitted a later type tank which should be right for a post 60000 car, but methinks as the car has had the rear body from another car, is the boot floor the early type and the plinths could have been added to make it look right. Sounds as if you need the early type tank not the late one. Incidentally I have just bought a late type tank that came from a pre 60000 car, so you can`t tell from the commision numbers as many have been re built over the years with whatever was available at the time.

Ralph

Its the other way round, its a later rear end and an early tank.

Stuart.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:00 AM, Richardtr3a said:

Surely if the original tank had the outlet in the middle it was an early tank, and presumably that fitted.

But reading this again I am even more confused as my later tank has the outlet at the left hand side, not the right, is there a third type of tank ? Did the swiss cars come from Belgium and use something different?.

Ralph.

My personal experience is that there are at least 3 different tanks.I purchased a 'TR2'

tank from Alicool which was much too short in the 'sump' by about 1 1/4", which would have

meant packing the underside of the back of the tank to get it to sit properly.Having just forked

out a decent sum of money I rather preferred to have the correct tank.They were sceptical when

I told them it was wrong (the old, old story of ' we never had any problems before, and we've sold loads'),

so I packed up my old and very knackered tank and the Alicool item and pedalled up to Wednesbury

(350miles round trip) where a still sceptical Alicool boss locked at my old tank and declared he thought

it had been modified.Nonetheless, I told him I wanted a replica of my old tank, which they duly reproduced,

and posted back in 3 days.And it fits! The only fault I can see is that the tank sender lid captive nuts/threads

have been tapped 1/2 a PCD out so that the sender arm is diagonal within the tank.Easily sorted of course.

I left my old tank with them for future customers who want a proper copy of an early TR2 tank, but don't hold

out a great deal hope that much use will be made of it (if it still exists!).

Roger M-E

DSCN4423.JPG

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Surely if the original tank had the outlet in the middle it was an early tank, and presumably that fitted.

But reading this again I am even more confused as my later tank has the outlet at the left hand side, not the right, is there a third type of tank ? Did the swiss cars come from Belgium and use something different?.

Ralph.

There are three types of tanks, The TR2 one is a 12 gallon whereas the later  TR3/3a up to TS60k and then the post TS60K are both 11 gallons  but the later tanks are two distinctly differently mounted items. There is a possibility of a another difference which is the Malines built cars which had local content for tax reasons.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new flexible hose and even with the tank loose , but not disconnected , I can not see how to slide the connector in. Even if the filler lined up it would be hard to slide in the regular straight connector. 

What is the best technique for fitting the standard connector. I am sure that someone has an answer here.

Thanks Richard & B

On mine I was able to slide the connector through the hole in the body on to the tank neck, followed by the 2 clips, then push the filler cap down into the rubber connector, finally placing and tightening the clips. Easy!!.

As you have a flexible pipe I assume it is convoluted ( is that the right word?) and may be a bigger diameter which prevents it going through the bodywork so you may have to wrangle it on from underneath the tonneau panel onto the tank first, may even have to undo the tank mountings and pipes to get some wiggle room.

Ralph.

My new flexible pipe will pass through the  hole in the bodywork. I am having trouble with fitting the neck on to it so that the filler cap can be screwed into place. Even if I was using a regular straight connector and the tank lined up it would be difficult. It looks as if the tank must come out and be offered up at an angle from inside. 

This is all more difficult than I was expecting. It is tempting to replace the old connector and make sure that the filler nozzle is fully inserted into the tank at forecourt time..

Thanks for the help Richard  & B

Good news . I gave up trying to adapt the new flexible hose and refitted the original which was not straight forward. It is now all connected and I am going to have to be careful when I pour in petrol from my can. I think the next purchase will be good size funnel with a long neck.

My tank has the outlet on the RHS and the inlet neck in the wrong place.  I was going to try my local welder but after a sunny afternoon measuring how much cutting and welding would be required I gave up and put it all back together. at least the boot looks tidy now.

I am back on the exhaust tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

Richard & B