Does anyone know of a solution.

I am intending a holiday in Cornwall but as I am away for a week i need to take the hardtop(British weather). What the hell do I do with it when the sun is out? I saw a suggestion that someone was investigating mounts on the boot lid. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Bill

12 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

i suppose so. I just feel its safer parked over night with hard top

TBH any TR parked on the street at night is a risk ,hard top or not, IMHO. The standard TR door locks are hardly high security, personally would go for the soft top and a steering wheel lock if you are concerned about theft. 

Hi Bilbo,

Like you, I have considered this problem on a number of occasions

My solution is for someone to design and build a targa top, so you only need to carry the drop ins!

My problem is I don't have the skills to design and build it so it won't be cheap!

So, like many nice-to-have solutions, it will not actually happen, but I think it would be neat solution.

TT

The two peice has been tried, but without great success,

keeping the water out was the issue.

In answer to Bilbo's question, No, the hardtop does not readiliy fit on the boot, and is not an option to transport,

its fit or leave at home I'm afraid.

John.

18 hours ago, Upriis said:

Bill,

How about a 2 piece hardtop?

Then you can store it in the car and enjoy roof down motoring.

If you own a green tr then I may have just what you need ;)

Hi,

Following the other post, do you have a water leak problem with it? Mine is red but a respray for the top would solve that.

How does it work?

The top has a double lip seal down the centre, so is watertight.

it seals vertically and horizontally along the central join. I have only ever trial fitted it to my car, as it’s green and really doesn’t go with a red car.

I already have a single piece hard top for winter use and would like to purchase the fabric section for summer use. So I can’t see I’ll get any use from the 2 piece and certainly don’t want to go to the expense of getting it painted if it won’t be used.

Neil

10 hours ago, Upriis said:

The top has a double lip seal down the centre, so is watertight.

it seals vertically and horizontally along the central join. I have only ever trial fitted it to my car, as it’s green and really doesn’t go with a red car.

I already have a single piece hard top for winter use and would like to purchase the fabric section for summer use. So I can’t see I’ll get any use from the 2 piece and certainly don’t want to go to the expense of getting it painted if it won’t be used.

Neil

Please will you post some pictures of your two piece hard top?  We went to the trouble, and great expense, many years ago to have one made but have never bothered to trim it or have it painted etc.. it would be interesting to see how it should be.

Thenks in anticipation.

Edit. Red and Green are opposite colours and would be a really striking colour combination. 

Edited by SuzanneH
On 7/1/2020 at 10:18 AM, tthomson said:

Hi Bilbo,

Like you, I have considered this problem on a number of occasions

My solution is for someone to design and build a targa top, so you only need to carry the drop ins!

My problem is I don't have the skills to design and build it so it won't be cheap!

So, like many nice-to-have solutions, it will not actually happen, but I think it would be neat solution.

TT

I think a Targa as per a 70's 911 would be a good idea.

7 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

Please will you post some pictures of your two piece hard top?  We went to the trouble, and great expense, many years ago to have one made but have never bothered to trim it or have it painted etc.. it would be interesting to see how it should be.

Thenks in anticipation.

Edit. Red and Green are opposite colours and would be a really striking colour combination. 

Hopefully the below link works?

the only pictures I have at present as it’s all wrapped up in a box, at the back of the shed.

the red and green, as you can see, should never be seen together. 
in the sunlight it makes your eyes go funny B)

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately my reply to you has ended up in the buy sell forum attached to your link.:o.

EDIT here it is:

Posted 1 hour ago

On 4/22/2020 at 2:10 PM,  Upriis said: 

Thanks for posting pictures of your two piece hard top.
Our is made of Ali and a shallower shape, it’s interesting to see how it is sealed down the middle joint and around the edges.

We have never done anything with ours as we came to the conclusion that it takes up too much luggage room in the back of the car and in the boot ( if, in fact,  it actually fits in the boot)

Ours would be a good mould from which to make a mould for fibreglass repro s’, however Roger won’t allow that......!!!

Edited by SuzanneH
  • 2 weeks later...

Bill,

If you are worried about security when away, as well as a good steering lock (Krooklock), plus battery cut out, I suggest you get (or make) a hood cover. This will keep the interior of the car from prying eyes and may help prevent wet carpets, and if you park under trees, bird guano.

Some thing like this: https://cabrioshield.com/uk/triumph-tr6.html (although for a TR6 it will fit a Michelotti car). Cheaper types are available, like this: https://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/product/convertible-hood-covers/

If you can find or make one that is tied to the door handles/mirrors and the tank filler, it is neat and quick to put on. 

Mike