TR4A original colour

Ron Hi does the car still have the original commission number plate attached ? if so the trim and paint codes will be recorded on it, if not then you may have to get a Heritage trace done on the car,  but you are correct in saying that whatever the original colour was it won't be magenta as that was a late TR6 colour

10 minutes ago, ronhatch said:

Hi all, I am about to start work on my next car a 1966 TR4A  it is currently Magenta but I don't think this is the original colour. Is there a way I can find out the original specs ?

Regards

Ron

What does it say on the chassis plate?,

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
49 minutes ago, ronhatch said:

I have just searched through all the original paperwork (it was 5 years ago I bought it ) and I have the original log book. It was wedgewood blue, I'm about to dust off the welder etc. and start the miraculous transformation B):D

Bill Piggott's book ("Original Triumph TR") says the Wedgewood Blue paintwork on the 4A was combined with Midnight Blue interior trim. Of course your car might have had its interior changed at some stage, often to black, and if so it will still look great with that in my opinion.

My TR4A had been repainted a dark blue sometime back in the 1980's.  However when stripping the car down there was plenty of places where the original color,  Wedgewood blue, was still evident, under the dash, under the windscreen rubber. Not many repaints back in the day were actually total bare body, so easy to find original color.

Mine is now back to the original Wedgewood blue, a total bare shell repaint!

Rich

43 minutes ago, PaulAnderson said:

Wedgewood blue with a midnight blue interior are a great combination.  https://www.john-skinner.co.uk/triumph/tr4a/   It’s what my TR4A is.   If you need material for interior trimming however we seem to be less well served with only Skinners seemingly selling midnight blue material.

Paul.

TR Shop can supply Midnight blue as well.

Stuart.