TR4/4A Surrey Top 'H' frame fitting

Hi Guys,

Just fitting a Surrey Top new 'H' frame and adjusting the front arm length's  to reposition to a Hood front  head rail method of  fixing.

The height above the windows before tensioning seems important otherwise it will be too peaky or too low.

So an anyone please provide a dimension of the center frame ends above the door capping's before the fabric top is pulled over the frame and tensioned.

My new 'H' frame is tight on the joints with no slack in the rivets so sits without sagging.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

Hi

Not sure there is an exact science here with all the variables.

When I bought my car the PO mentioned the surrey (fabric) top was tight to fit.. the cover fitted and located well at the centre of the front screen, but was very difficult/tight at the doors.

I tweaked the centre frame ends you mentioned, as it was high on the windows as well and hence very tight..

One of the press studs on the rear window frame had been replaced and moved slightly backwards which also didn't help at the front.

Nigel H.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Never did get a reply to this question/request for a dimension between the say the flat part of the outer sill to the bottom of the centre loop of the H frame above the doors.

I am now fitting a new Everflex top from  'Coventry Hood and Tonneau' and could really do with this dimension to be sure before I try to stretch the top and fix the popper studs.

The H frame is new from TR Trader. The top seems very reluctant to be pulled to fit nicely above the door glass and fix the two poppers on the centre loop. Yes it needs to be warmed up and hopefully I can put the car out in the sun next week, when the weather forecast is to be very warm, to pull into position before fixing once I'm satisfied with the frame position.

Thanks 

Rich

1 hour ago, rvwp said:

Hi Guys,

Never did get a reply to this question/request for a dimension between the say the flat part of the outer sill to the bottom of the centre loop of the H frame above the doors.

I am now fitting a new Everflex top from  'Coventry Hood and Tonneau' and could really do with this dimension to be sure before I try to stretch the top and fix the popper studs.

The H frame is new from TR Trader. The top seems very reluctant to be pulled to fit nicely above the door glass and fix the two poppers on the centre loop. Yes it needs to be warmed up and hopefully I can put the car out in the sun next week, when the weather forecast is to be very warm, to pull into position before fixing once I'm satisfied with the frame position.

Thanks 

Rich

Its usually a compromise between getting the frame centre bar ends to miss the top of the windows when theyre up and enough clearance to allow the window to shut just in under the guttering on the sides of the top. You need to get the window height at fully wound up just right for the solid roof as well as for the soft section. Get it as close as possible to suit both and then with the centre bar at the right height off the glass and the drop section of the soft top nicely tensioned between the hooks front and back sitting behind the top of the glass then it will be nice and water tight.

Stuart.

Hello Rich

Just been into the garage to measure mine. The window glass at the rear lines up with the 'step' on the surrey frame. From the top inside edge of the door capping to the top of the window is 14 and 1/4 inches. The end of the surrey frame is 1 inch higher (15 and 1/4 inches from top of inside door cap to frame). However mine is an original frame and yours may not be exactly the same dimensions. I also think mine could be a bit lower at the sides. Anyway it is something for you to start with.

Keith

Thanks Keith, that's a good starting point. I'm pretty sure mine is higher than that so I need to lower it. Stuart's comment above suggests probably 1/2 inch or less, enough to clear the glass and for the glass to fit nicely under the gutter. 

Thanks again Stuart and Keith,

Kind regards Rich