Temparature Gauge

Hi all, My temp gauge starts off in the cold position and as the engine warms it starts to move, so far so good, but it continues all the way to 120c. The actual temp at the thermostat housing is 85c . It is a new sender unit. Any ideas from the sages

Regards

Ron

34 minutes ago, ronhatch said:

Hi all, My temp gauge starts off in the cold position and as the engine warms it starts to move, so far so good, but it continues all the way to 120c. The actual temp at the thermostat housing is 85c . It is a new sender unit. Any ideas from the sages

Regards

Ron

Wrong sender by the sound of it.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, I had that idea and I have just changed the sender to an old one from another tr4 engine and the reading is the same, although the old one was longer that the new one. Do either I've got 2 duff/wrong senders or something else is happening. Also can the instruments be taken apart for cleaning ?

Regards

Ron

Is the fuel gauge reading correctly Ron?  If that is high as well you might have a failed instrument voltage stabiliser.

Hi Ron,

Try stripping back and replacing the spade connector on the wire connection too..it may be causing a high resistance in the circuit.. 

Nigel H.

You might find some useful information in this old thread Ron:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/39702-tr4a-temperature-sender-resistance-a-favour/

(The chap talking about 'thyristor' actually means thermistor)

The gauges do come apart with care - I believe you have to bend back the tabs on the chrome bezel to remove the glass so you don't want to do that too often.

The alternator and polarity change shouldn't have any bearing on this. The temp gauge works on the bimetallic principle so doesn't care about polarity. Your ammeter not working may be because the alternator output has been connected to the wrong end of it. 

The meter is not polarity sensitive, but an electronic voltage stabiliser (if you were to have one) is.

I have taken quite a few gauges apart, I find you can usually get the chrome bezel off by twisting it till the tabs line up with slots in the case.

If you bend them they are likely to snap off.

Bob.