hardened valve seats on TR cylinder heads

Hi Mates

I'm Barry Davies from Perth Western Australia ,,Just joined and it's my first post,,,I have a 1961 TR4 it hasn't got valve seats fitted  in the head, was talking to the local Triumph repairer and he was saying they don't give trouble as the cast iron was a good grade, just like a second opinion on that, he has got some old stock valve seats ( before non lead?) was thinking would they be ok for the non lead petrol,, anyone got any thoughts on this,, thanks a lot in advace for any replies---Barry

Hi Barry, and welcome.

Lots of stuff on hardened valve seats here, do a "Search" for info, but basically they go for years with original heads, provided 

you a driving say usually below 3500 revs, so racing No!

Thinking for a long time has been do not pull the head, just to change the valves to hardened, but rather  change the valves 

when the head is off for other work.

John.

Hey Barry,

I have done 30 years of TR driving without hardened valve seats with no issues related to seat failure.

As John says above...theres no need to rush to do it because its the same job you would do in the event you actually had a valve seat recession issue (theres no extra cost if you wait). They dont fail quickly, so if your fuel/driving style/head quality combination were to cause an issue you'd see regular close-up of exhaust valve clearances giving 1000s of miles warining before you lose compression.

Dont worry just drive,

Dave