Surrey Top rear retainer bar - wanted

Hi Guys,

I am looking for an original used RETAINER BAR, REAR, the bit that pushes through the pocket at the rear of the Surrey top. Moss part No. 706240.

I did buy from Moss, but the curvature is not correct, so am looking for an original. Any condition will do.

Thanks 

Rich

Hi Rich

I cant help on your search but will say I had the same problem with a rear bar that I got from TRGB, it was way to curved and then by the time I got it flat enough to fit the backlight the fittings for the thumb screws were to far appart! This led to putting more of a curve to the rear which then makes the fabric top fit a bit marginal.

I should have posted it on here but there is so much of this sort of thing it's almost become normal 

George 

So, seems like there is a problem with this item supplied by Moss, but why has nobody complained.

I have spoken to TRGB who also seem to think that the ones they sell are OK, not sourced from Moss, but from the UK manufacture, although the dimensions of the depth  of the curve given to me when compared to an original, is approx 3/4 inch greater. so I expect they are sourced from the same supplier but  they have no reported problems.

SC Parts also supply this item, they are unable to say whether they come from the same source as Moss, but have had no returns? 

So who has purchased this item, from any supplier, and found it to be satisfactory without manipulation.  Need to know?

Thanks 
Rich

No, an original bar fits perfectly on a Honeyborne! Moss again not checking the products they sell. Sent mine back. Rich

As I previously said mine came from TRGB and was at least 3/4" to high in the centre and like richardb I have a Honeybourn backlight so wasn't sure which was wrong, judging from today's parts quality it's most likely both

George 

Spoke to TRGB yesterday who gave me dimensions  of the bar they sell, apparently sourced direct from the UK manufacturer.  And yes when compared to the original bar I have borrowed the height at the center  is about 3/4 inch to high also. Seems they probably all come from the same source? Whilst they could be "sat upon" to adjust the curve I am not prepared to mess around with it and therefore not be able to return it to Moss for a refund if its still not right.

I am going to obtain some steel strip, 8mm x 12mm, round off the edges, and spend a few hours and bend/tweek  up my own using the original and the backlight as a template.

Should be fun. Will let you know how it works out.

Rich

Rich