Are you familiar with a fly-off handbrake/ pull towards you and press the button to engage (Sometimes they can be tricky if worn). To release, pull handle towards you and let go. (do not press button)

Andy

1 hour ago, Ocheye said:

Are you familiar with a fly-off handbrake/ pull towards you and press the button to engage (Sometimes they can be tricky if worn). To release, pull handle towards you and let go. (do not press button)

Andy

Ahh the classic car practical knowledge check for the MOT tester.

Peter W

Don't worry Jonesy, as Peter W says the older mechanics hide laughing, and watch the newly certified MOT testers trying to release the reverse action ratchets upon TRs and other older classics.

They treat it like a "right of passage" which they normally only explain to the embarrassed new tester AFTER he's failed the car and they ask him why ? before they lean into the car and release the handbrake nonchalantly by just pulling it !  The MOT requirement is for an efficient handbrake, there is no requirement for it working the same as every other handbrake.

Mick Richards   

I must admit to going for a month telling people the handbrake was frozen on my car.  Let's just say everything got really well lubricated and strength tested in the process of my discovery that it worked differently.  I am reminded of the Spitfire 944 documentary short film where the pilot accidentally hit the emergency wheel deployment system and jammed the gear.  He said he about broke his arm trying to use the cable release to let the gear down.  He said the ground crew told him he had stretched the cable a couple inches pulling it.  I didn't stretch my cable but I sure tested the brake handle and locking mechanism. :-)

Most of you guys will like this - watch it.  A hidden story for WWII:

Edited by RMP NC
typo
1 hour ago, RMP NC said:

I must admit to going for a month telling people the handbrake was frozen on my car.  Let's just say everything got really well lubricated and strength tested in the process of my discovery that it worked differently.  I am reminded of the Spitfire 944 documentary short film where the pilot accidentally hit the emergency wheel deployment system and jammed the gear.  He said he about broke his arm trying to use the cable release to let the gear down.  He said the ground crew told him he had stretched the cable a couple inches pulling it.  I didn't stretch my cable but I sure tested the brake handle and locking mechanism. :-)

Most of you guys will like this - watch it.  A hidden story for WWII:

Nice film, I've seen it before as have quite a few others on here...but it never palls in the watching, balls of steel.

Mick Richards 

This is why they draft 18 yr olds and not 30 yr olds.  ;-). 

This has been out since 2006 so plenty of time for it to get around.  I first saw it a few years ago and still go back and watch it now and again.  Always makes me smile.

always good to watch this story again so thanks for posting it.  i can only concur with what he said about flying a Spitfire. Having been lucky enough to do so myself it is without doubt the best aircraft I have ever flown. 

hoges. 

The closest I'll ever get to a Spitfire is a British sports car.  I suppose that is the appeal of these cars for a lot of people - it's the closest they will ever get to WWII era fighter cockpit.  Like other arguable examples, the Spitfire was perfectly designed for its intended purpose and at the apex of what was possible for the time.  It's beauty (sight and sound or the Merlin) are undeniable.  I don't know many car guys that don't also love the old war birds.  The sound of the Merlin in a Spitfire or Mustang gives me chills and brings tears of joy. 

I was lucky enough in the early 90s to see Chuck Yeager and his WWII wingman Bud Andersen fly a pair of Mustangs in formation in an airshow in Winston Salem, NC.