TR6 spare wheel mounting hook through boot floorpan

Hi all,

This is a simple question, but I'm having difficulty finding photos of the arrangement of where the spacers and reinforcing plateĀ go through the chassis rear cross-tube and boot floorpan, for the lower spare wheel hook. Can anyone share a photo or let me crawl under their car please?

Finished a 13 year complete rebuild of my TR6 on the morning of last year's International Weekend, and was too busy enjoying the beer tent, Elvis impersonators and autosolo at Stratford to actually slide under a 6 to have a look at someone else's car.

My car didn't have the spare wheel hooks, before I stripped it, so I have no reference.

I'm near Dartford in Kent.

Many thanks

Chris 07704513638

Depending on the clearance to the cross tube under the boot floor you would need round rubber spacers to take up the gap, often a thick and maybe one thin one. Then theres a thin rubber one on the boot floor and then the square plate and nylock nut. A nylock nut and washer goes under the tube.

Stuart.

9 minutes ago, Casar66 said:

I have remove the hook and the wheel to get more space. Would it make sense to replace the hook with a bolt for stiffness reason?

You could but unless you dont run with a spare theres nothing to be gained by removing it.

Stuart.

This is the hook from the underside of my TR6, the body has never been off the chassis as far as I know so its probably as it left the factory.

You will find once its fitted you will bang your head on it every time you get under the carĀ 

20200628_115802.jpg

Thanks Harlequin, Stuart,

Your help is really appreciated.Ā  I'll take heed of the advice about banging my head on it, maybe raise the lower hook or cut it a little shorter.

Best wishes

Chris

Ā 

Ā 

12 hours ago, Casar66 said:

Whould anyone agree that the hook stiffens the whole assembly?

If Triumph didnt think so I expect they wouldnt have fitted it, plus it stops the spare wheel sliding about in the boot which is part of Construction and use regulations. Even moderns have a bolt down facility for a spare wheel if fitted..

Stuart.

On 6/28/2020 at 12:04 PM, harlequin said:

This is the hook from the underside of my TR6, the body has never been off the chassis as far as I know so its probably as it left the factory.

You will find once its fitted you will bang your head on it every time you get under the carĀ 

20200628_115802.jpg

If that is an earthing wire attached to that bolt? I think it needs renewing?

Bruce.