Gear box bell housing bolts

As an enthusiastic amateur, I have today commenced removing the gearbox as I need to take it in for an overhaul. Doing very well so far, but have got a problem. Just cannot get in to remove the bell housing bolts that are at the top of the bell housing. The body work is in the way slightly and the nuts /bolts seem very shallow, can't get any purchase. Apart from just trying to man up a bit, does anyone have any ideas? Matt from Eyam. 

26 minutes ago, Matt1969 said:

As an enthusiastic amateur, I have today commenced removing the gearbox as I need to take it in for an overhaul. Doing very well so far, but have got a problem. Just cannot get in to remove the bell housing bolts that are at the top of the bell housing. The body work is in the way slightly and the nuts /bolts seem very shallow, can't get any purchase. Apart from just trying to man up a bit, does anyone have any ideas? Matt from Eyam. 

The engine is to far back, slacken the bolts inside the engine mounts and move it forward 

Matt, how are you trying to get at those upper bellhousing fasteners ?. With the doghouse off you should have a clear shot at the nuts and get a spanner on the bolts from above. The bolt heads are just below the firewall sheet metal but there should be enough room there to get a spanner on them to stop them turning.  Perhaps I am not understanding the question..

Stan

DSCN0883-L.jpg

Edited by foster461