I know of only full spring assemblies being for sale but not individual springs. (Skinner, Moss, TRF)

Anything here?

https://upholsterywarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Upholsterers-Workshop-Supplies.html

Mine too need refurbishment so I will watch for responses.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I fitted complete Skinner spring sets to both seats when I refurbished them a few years ago now. I am very satisfied with them. However initially there is a sensation of sitting rather high, which either I have got used to or they have self squashed over the years with my increasing corpulence. I believe some folks have used the judicious placement of cable ties to reduce the problem. At least there are no more broken spring ends piercing my delicate skin.

james

Trouble with the repro spring bases available over here is the springs are too hard and theres a lot less of them, the originals were very lightweight and all woven together, the ones from TRF are a lot more like correct. Seat spring bases

Stuart.

One of my neighbour's has a TR3 that is a month or two older then mine, when he tried replacing the  spring frame with I think a Moss unit it was such a poor fit that he gave up. This is why I would like to have a go at replacing individual springs. I was hoping that someone had already done the legwork and found a supplier, I have looked online at furniture upholstery suppliers and most do springs so I shall have a phone around next week and see what's available and post results

George 

Hi george,

I'll save you the trouble.

https://upholsterywarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Double_Cone_Spring.html

It could get a bit expensive judging by how many I needed to fix on mine. In the centre where they usually go you will need 9 or 10" I think but even so you need 8". The springs are interlaced so you need to understand how it goes together or you might have an unwelcome guest in your pants!

It also needs to be stated that the seat cushions are a different shape depending on your car. TR2 different from 3a seats!

The way to do it is to go to a auction and buy an old sofa. Check underneath on viewing for sizing. You can then sell extra on here LMAO!

Also you need to reproduce all the layers over the springs before you attempt to fit a cover. I.e. Sacking, horse hair or modern equivalent, fine grade linen, flocking.

For the final authentic seat really need a few sharp rocks!

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Thanks for the link Rod

Its only my driver seat that has gone so I have the passenger seat for reference and the prospect of intruders in the trouser department will keep me from cutting corners.

I have been working on bringing the leather back to life for a while now and took advantage of the hot weather to give them another go with restorer, this worked really well so I shall now do the springs, as you say it looks to be 8 or 9 in the centre. Can you remember what guage of spring you used?

George 

Edited by harlequin
13 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Why not look out for an old original seat base (try TR shop etc,) that should supply you with as many springs as you need.

Bob.

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks Bob

George 

An update on my quest for seat springs

Over the weekend I trawled t'interweb and lots of suppliers of springs but none that were fine enough (about 16 gauge) I have a friend who is an antique dealer and I had a look through his junk shed with no luck, so this morning I called TRGB who are in the next village to me and the boys came up trumps and donated a tatty seat with enough good springs to do my seat and probably my neighbour's as well.

George