Well, i was rummaging around in the workshop looking for some brake bits for a Vanden Plas and uncovered these little beauties. NOS Lucas Twinlamps 576 spot & fog lights and a matching pair  of NOS Lucas FT7 Fograngers.  I vaguely  remember buying the 576's donkeys years ago with a job lot of stuff but i can't for the life of me recall the Fograngers. 

They have been  under piles of accumulated . . er,  "parts"  for longer than i care to remember but what a lovely find. I'm tempted now to fit a pair on the TR.But which pair. What do you all think ?  Maybe the 576's go back to the 50's ? The Fogranger are probably more in the TR4A era do you think. But the Twinlamps are classy. 

Which pair would you all fit if you were going to wire up a pair of fog/spot lights ? 

Lucak 576 Foglights 1.JPG

Lucas Fograngers 1.JPG

The twin lamps would be my choice 

what a great find

H

9 minutes ago, Noel Maule said:

Ha ha that's one each for the Twinlamps and the Fograngers and one for both ! Even stevens at the mo. 

What are they for ?

just assumed it was side screen - after all they are the original and best tr to have :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Noel Maule said:

I'm thinking of fitting them on to a TR4A 

Changed my mind matching fog rangers it is then. 

2 hours ago, stillp said:

The Fograngers for me. The Twinlamps would be better for a sidescreeen car.

Pete

Good call Pete 

As far as the dates of the 576’s are concerned if they are originals on the rear of the lamp should have a date stamp. So if manufactured in June 1958 it would be 658 if in November 1158  
Hope this helps 

Cheers 

Gordon 

Hi,

576's were a common fitment throughout the 50's and 60's..apparently from 62 the lucas logo had a ribbed finish and not smooth.

According to t'internet they were produced till the early 80's..but looked a bit old fashioned by then.

Interesting post.(didn't know about the date coding)..Ive just had a pair of 'flamethrowers' as a surprise birthday prezzy to fit to my 64 car.

My loom looks like it has bullet connectors spare at the front for the purpose of spot lamps (feeding from main beam feed?)..would that be correct? Or would separate switch/relay/wiring be a better option?

thx

Nigel H

I think John is right that you can only use spots with main beam . I will be wiring my relay and switch to the main beam supply unless anyone knows better ? Mind you it would be nice to have some versatility and as Rod say's maybe useful to use a fog light with dipped headlights but not sure that's legal ?

Thank you all..

Time to get the meter out and find out what all these spare connections are connected too..

Will be wiring in to main beam with relay.

I believe fogs can be a separate switch..as per modern cars..dont quote me..

Nigel.

...just for clarity, what I meant was that Fog lights should only be used alongside dipped headlights and then only when poor visibility requires the use of said foglights (fogs can dazzle in conditions of good visibility).

13 minutes ago, Rod1883 said:

(fogs can dazzle in conditions of good visibility).

If they do they are very badly adjusted and would be useless in fog. The whole point of a foglamp is the low broad beam pointed at the road just in front of the car. 

(yes I know what the lighting regs say)

Edited by RobH
3 minutes ago, RobH said:

If they do they are very badly adjusted and would be useless in fog. The whole point of a foglamp is the low broad beam pointed at the road just in front of the car. 

Can't agree. Fog Lights are not angled away as 'dipped' headlamps are, so in good visibility can present a dazzle risk to oncoming traffic, as per the RAC guidance:

You should only use your fog lights when visibility is below 100 metres. To use a classic British measurement putting it in perspective: that’s roughly the length of a football pitch. It’s important not to use your fog lights when visibility is better than that, as you risk dazzling other drivers.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know-how/car-lights-and-headlights-what-they-are-and-when-to-use-them/

I said I was aware of what the regs say Rod and I think you are talking about those modern ultra-bright things set in the bumper and usually pointed at the sky. Those are actually 'driving' lamps. 

I have a 567 foglight and I can assure you it does not dazzle (even if it could with the weedy bulb). The whole point about it is that it is directed down at the road surface at far more of an angle than a dipped headlight to illuminate the white lines and curb in fog without scattering light back at the driver. The beam pattern is a bar across the road just in front of the car.  No chance of dazzle from that.