Rear end knocking on cornering Left

John - I hope your problem is not the diff bit it could very well be. 

As this is an expensive part, go through the rear end carefully to eliminate things like the diff mountings,  propshaft UJs, and the drivesahft UJs - as it's only noticeable when cornering, does it do this on both left and right hand corners the same or is it only doing it in one type of corner?

Often best to jack up one rear wheel at a time making sure other is on the ground and can't turn, and then check both front and rear diff mountings and brackets are all intact. check UJs on the driveshaft and for any play in the driveshaft splines ( you shouldn't really be able to feel any noticeable play in the splines) - if nothing untoward crops up from this, then unfortunately likely to be the diff - have you had any other issues with  the diff? If you have a drain plug in the diff ( you probably haven't), drain the old and look for any broken teeth in the oil.

If you conclude it is the diff, I can help you with a rebuilt one if you need one - just PM me - whereabouts are you as a matter of interest?

Cheers Rich

IMG_3055 - Resized.jpg

IMG_3056 - Resized.jpg

IMG_3057 - Resized.jpg

IMG_3058 - Resized.jpg

IMG_3059 - Resized.jpg

Richard - yes good point - usually manifested by play in the bearings which will show up by rocking the wheel when jacked up with handbrake off.

John - might I also suggest you ask the moderators to change the title of your post to a more relevant title such " Rear end knocking noise on cornering" and you will get a lot more informed responses

Cheers Rich

Hi John,

As it’s only apparent when bearing left, it could be a UJ striking an exhaust pipe or chassis. As the stresses of cornering bring changes to clearances, this can occur. It took one of our members months to trace such a situation. You can’t reproduce the situation in the workshop, so initially look for witness marks. If nothing can be seen it might be worth running for a while without the tunnel in place.

Good luck

Allan

Check out the prop shaft on the diff End catching on the tunnel area, from memory it’s offset and you can get a noise on corners where the clearance is least. Look for shiny marks.

Mick Richards

Sounds like a shaft rotating and whacking something on each go around.   On my sons 74, when we redid the rear (rebuilt hubs, new axle shafts....) we had the same thing.  Turns out the bolts we used to connect the flanges together were about 1/4" longer than the stock ones and that difference in length would make a similar noise as you describe on tight turns at low speeds (probably happening at high speeds too but can't really hear things then) and only one of the bolts making contact.   No visible signs of the rubbing either.   

3 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Richard - yes good point - usually manifested by play in the bearings which will show up by rocking the wheel when jacked up with handbrake off.

John - might I also suggest you ask the moderators to change the title of your post to a more relevant title such " Rear end knocking noise on cornering" and you will get a lot more informed responses

Cheers Rich

Done.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have now had time to investigate but I can`t find anything that might be causing the knocking on my TR. All the UJ`s are ok, wheel bearings ok, all bushes no apparent play the only thing is the diff but there is no drain plug to look to see if there are any loose metal, I think we will have to take the diff out to check it. If we take the back pate off will any problems come to light?

John

4 minutes ago, Johnthelms said:

Hi I have now had time to investigate but I can`t find anything that might be causing the knocking on my TR. All the UJ`s are ok, wheel bearings ok, all bushes no apparent play the only thing is the diff but there is no drain plug to look to see if there are any loose metal, I think we will have to take the diff out to check it. If we take the back pate off will any problems come to light?

John

Can you reach the oil and get a sample from the fill plug? If you have one , a vacuum  oil changer, like MB's use for engine oil changes, would get most of the diff oil out when it's warm.

45 minutes ago, Johnthelms said:

John

Have you checked the clearance of the diff where the prop shaft bolts to to the transmission tunnel as suggested. If it doesn’t have a good clearance the car bodywork  and suspension movement will allow the bodywork to “displace” leaning across and reducing the clearance until contact with the prop shaft and U/J area, and then return to clearance When you check on it statically.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey