Registering an ex USA car in UK

I've acquired a very rough ex USA tr3a and would like to call upon the expert knowledge on here. I have the Nova certificate and body plate still on the bulkhead, however, when I did an MG TD DVLA asked for a photo of the number stamped into the forward chassis rail. As it was a good chassis it was no problem. This chassis however is quite rusty. So. Do these even have such a number? Where? I fear when I get it sand blasted any numbers will dissappear! Thanks. Colin. 

26 minutes ago, Colin916 said:

I've acquired a very rough ex USA tr3a and would like to call upon the expert knowledge on here. I have the Nova certificate and body plate still on the bulkhead, however, when I did an MG TD DVLA asked for a photo of the number stamped into the forward chassis rail. As it was a good chassis it was no problem. This chassis however is quite rusty. So. Do these even have such a number? Where? I fear when I get it sand blasted any numbers will dissappear! Thanks. Colin. 

No numbers on the chassis apart from the Z plate chassis series ID which has nothing to do it anyway. There is only the chassis ID plate and the two brass plates on the bulkhead, one being its Mulliners ID number and the other being the body number.

Stuart.

Hi Colin,

I think you need to take photos of the car as complete as possible and demonstrate to DVLA that it is a complete car and not a collection of bits. You need the two numbers form the bulkhead above the battery box, engine number(stamped on the bulk Left hand side or a brass factory recon unit FRA ????.

I would suggest that your car may have been one of the Home export scheme cars bought and registered in UK and then driven by the new us owner and then shipped as a used car to USA. If you can document the car as such you may then be able to get the original registration allocated.

It all relies on what documentation you can find. and it takes time. A bit of a detective inspection.

Tell us exactly what you have by way of a car and perhaps a photo of the body tags. You should have the remnants of a plate on the right side looking back on the bulkhead. to left of the body number (bulkhead  in the middle above battery box)

Rgds

Rod

Colin,

If you can PM me with your email, and commission number (TSxxxxx) from the bulkhead plate on lhs (facing the car) I can give you some advice.  The process is different depending whether the car is a Home Export car (as it will originally have had a UK reg) or just an export.

Whatever you do don't give the DVLA more information than they actually require.

Mike

8 hours ago, mike ellis said:

Colin,

If you can PM me with your email, and commission number (TSxxxxx) from the bulkhead plate on lhs (facing the car) I can give you some advice.  The process is different depending whether the car is a Home Export car (as it will originally have had a UK reg) or just an export.

Whatever you do don't give the DVLA more information than they actually require.

Mike

Thanks everyone. I'm trying to figure out how to p.m.!!

I am getting towards this stage with my own resto too. I have the American title ( which has the correct vin number but wrong date of manufacture), and a letter from HMRC stating that all import duties have been paid, also got a heritage cert to confirm correct date of manufacture. The car was a wreck with no engine and gearbox, but I took photos including of the vin plate in situ, corroded but readable.

I have had the car for a couple of years, but didn`t apply for a registration immediately as I had read of a Vitesse owner who had had his application put on hold until the vehicle was in a driveable state. 

I have kept taking photos during the re build to kind of prove it is the same car, but I assume at some point will have to get it inspected to get it registered. I have fitted a 1964 engine from a TR4 and an overdrive gearbox from a Mk1 2000 saloon. I have heard that they may give me a 1964 Reg based on the engine year of manufacture, though I can`t see why given the provenance of the main part of the car, what do you guys think.

The car is now running, but I still have the front wings,  bonnet and doors to paint and fit, and windscreen to fit. At what point would you set the registration wheels in motion, or should I wait till it is 100% finished (if they ever are)