Not for me or even a TR. A friend needs to replace his V8 roller rockers which are worn beyond use - any recommendations?

Sometimes difficult on forums to get a sensible answer - except here of course.

Jerry

I think you may need to give a little more info...Engine type...Rover V8 or what ?

Mick Richards

Sorry, I assumed all TR7 V8 would have the Rover derived lump - you mean there are others?

The engine was originally in a TVR Tuscan challenge race car so believe it's Rover derivation.

Current roller rockers (possibly Crane ?) are annodised ally. Wear on the shaft/bearing area has removed the annodising and then worn the alloy to the point where they overheat and make 'orrid noises. We think this is just wear and tear rather than anything wrong, as coming from a race engine they would probably get replaced every season. Lubrication appears to be all fine.

If you need more info, I'll have to go to the horses mouth.

Cheers,

Jerry

Not sure what we could recommend as we don't know the objective.

As its an x race engine I would assume its a high lift cam, possibly solid lifters. Due to the cam its probably got high load valve springs to stop float.

That generates a lot of load on the rockers and shaft. Sounds like it has the standard shaft set up not rockers with the individual bearings on a base plate.

Lubrication may actually be the problem. 

You do need the correct (for the parts) bearing clearance or the oil just flows out instead of supporting the load. That's probably why they are getting hot now they have worn.

For a replacement, do check the rocker ratio. Ask an expert for the correct roller size for the valve stems. I would suggest a new shaft or at least check closely the one you have.

I would check the shaft pedestals for cracks as well.

Engine now used in a fun road/track day car. Uses the standard rocker shafts with solid lifters. Most likely uprated valve springs.

Good point to check rocker ratio and roller size. Definitely new shafts required, just trying to identify what rockers to put on them. Yellaterra seems to be almost the only thing available in the UK. Possibly more choice in the States including some with needle roller bearings. Any one have experience of these?

http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_1311

Jerry