Kastner Cup, live streaming on YouTube!

Several Triumpheros and I were due to cross  t'Pond this summer, to enter the Kastner Cup, but along with so much else those plans have long gone.    But we can be there, more than just in spirit, because the Sportscar Vintage Racing Association is live streaming the Mid-Ohio meeting, online.      The virtual Drivers' Meeting has already taken place:

I don't have the race programme for the meeting yet, so can't say when to watch, but Ohio is three hours behind us.     This will be my evening's watching, this weekend!

JOhn

Edited by john.r.davies

Thanks for the heads up John.

I found the schedule here https://midohio.com/info/event-schedules/column-1/vintage-grand-prix-of-mid-ohio-svra-schedule

Haven't found any streaming links yet. Time difference is 5 hours behind UK according to interweb for Lexington ??

Jerry

Thnaks for that Jerry!    

Yes, FIVE hours!  Doh!  

Here's the entry list - FOURTY TWO racing Triumphs!!

I've high-lighted some anomalies, which will be no doubt sorted.

The weather forecast is not good!  Thunderstorms!   So the race schedule may be rearranged at short notice.

image.thumb.png.18a61bede90011d76a036223cd7d9326.png

After a digital battle, I've managed to install the SVRA app on my KIndle Fire - it will not run on a PC and the SVRA will not be streaming via thier YouTube channel.

I've also found the "North American Triumph" Facebook page that represents the online magazine http://www.triumphspitfire.com/.   They have been touring the paddock,videoing the cars, interviewing the drivers and sussing out a good place to video Qualy and Race 1 tomorrow..

No qualy today, as in practice, a Sp[itfire lost its oil.   Track owners HATE that, it's bad for the tarmac, and drivers hate it only slightly less as it tends to reduce grip and traction a tad.   So there was some delay while it was cleared up, and the time was taken out of the Triumph allocation, cancelling the Qualy session in the pm.   Fair doos as they say. Maybe the guilty will buy a few rounds tonight?

So, we should be set for a day of racing and paddock walks tomorrow!  Enjoy!

JOhn

Roy,

Seems that live streaming is not available on the SVRA website after all, but only via the app that they sponsor: https://svra.com/svra-mobile-app/    It's available in Apple iPhone and Google Android versions.   Many (most?) mobiles use either one of those operating systems (OS), so if yours does, go and get it.

On your PC, the North American Triumph page is featuring short videos of the cars and drivers in the paddock, asnd I think will show some Kastner Cup racing, as they were scouting for a good trackside post to video from yesterday. https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmTriumphs    Leave a message for Shawn so that he knows the Brits are watching!

My problem was that A/ I have a tiny phone with a tiny memory, too small for the SVRA app (!) unless I delete essential apps,  and B/ My tablet is a Kindle Fire, whose 8" screen is much more acceptable.   It uses an OS that is related to Android but won't accept the Android SVRA app!      If that is your situation then go to the "How to Geek" webpages, and look for "How to Install the Google Play Store on the Amazon Fire Tablet or Fire HD 8"  https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/      The instructions are straightforward, and sensible, especially that after you install the programs advised,  it may take a little while for the tablet to sort itself out, so go and have a cuppa!   And it works!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

That SVRA app turned out to be bloody useless.     It gave me a lovely view of the previous race, up to the last fopur laps - and then collapsed.

Thnak goodness for the North American Triumph Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmTriumphs that showd a good view of a major ccorner through Qualifying.    More padovk videos I hope and Race 1 at about 2100 our time!

No idea how Sam Halkias did, MIke. The SVRA is supposed to display a leaderboard, but didn't when it was live.    No doubt we'll find out.

John

Interesting race 1 of the Kastner cup. 3 very evenly matched TR's at the front. Unfortunately Sam Halkias TR6 was taken out by the number 11 TR8. Race 2 should be on live about 8 pm our time this evening.

Mike

Yes, Mike, the commentators had not done the home work - or else the Friends of Triumph had not provided them with notes.    They clearly had no idea that the "Striped Vitesse" is the KASTNER-Brophy car, built by Kas for the TransAm in the 70s, and my dream car! 

And even the SVRA office staff, who I emailed, had no idea about online coverage beyond the app!

Edited by john.r.davies

Well, that was this mornings races.   Ormost of them - it finished on the green flag lap of the last. so not much of that on show.

For me, now, its 1745,  1245 in Ohio, and they are breaking for lunch.

I wonder where the live stream for the PM races will be?

John

Kas can't be at this years Kastner Cup - first time, ever.

The Friends of Triumph have sent him their good wishes from the circuit.  See: 78487828_1824369907686840_30917564413700

(From the North American Triumphs facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmTriumphs/

It would be nice if the TR Register did too! 

Sorry you had so much planning for a trip that didn’t happen. 

think of the Uk entry fees you have saved That you can put into next year in the USA 

Edited by Hamish
Try to correct phone text!

It's fun to see the Triumphs back at Mid-Ohio, even if virtually.  That circuit is my "home track", about 90 minutes from my small Ohio hometown, and where I've probably watched more races than anywhere else.  One of the earliest races I went to there in the 1970s had Paul Newman racing a TR6, an ex-Group 44 car I believe.

On 6/28/2020 at 5:30 AM, john.r.davies said:

Yes, Mike, the commentators had not done the home work - or else the Friends of Triumph had not provided them with notes.    They clearly had no idea that the "Striped Vitesse" is the KASTNER-Brophy car, built by Kas for the TransAm in the 70s, and my dream car! 

And even the SVRA office staff, who I emailed, had no idea about online coverage beyond the app!

A friend of mine in New Zealand was also having issues with the information provided on the web site and app for live streaming. He has emailed them some suggestions for making the website a little more use friendly to get to live streams. Hopefully they will address this for next years event.

Simon

Nice to watch some action  at last.

Especially as we were all due to be at Spa this weekend which is probably the biggest gathering of TR race cars in Europe

Roy