County Camshaft Reliability

Folks, I have a CP camshaft with a TR5/early TR6 profile and its manufactured by County.  I bought the cam several years ago but I haven't installed it yet.  Before I do I'd like to hear from members who might have had direct experience running this County cam.   Bottom line - I don't want to install a poor quality cam...

The identifying markings on the end face of the cam is "TRI6/150BHP" and the lobe profiles match my old TR5 cam.

Feedback appreciated.

Jim

Does it look as if it is new or one that has been reground on a used cam.

New blanks were very rare for a while so new profiles were ground onto used stock with the enevitable consequence of a short life!

If it is new then I would give it a try but wasn't aware County supplied cams for TRs.

6 hours ago, Jim F said:

Folks, I have a CP camshaft with a TR5/early TR6 profile and its manufactured by County.  I bought the cam several years ago but I haven't installed it yet.  Before I do I'd like to hear from members who might have had direct experience running this County cam.   Bottom line - I don't want to install a poor quality cam...

The identifying markings on the end face of the cam is "TRI6/150BHP" and the lobe profiles match my old TR5 cam.

Feedback appreciated.

Jim

Ring them and ask

http://www.xrnengineering.co.uk/index.html

Peter W

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Ring them and ask

Peter W

7 hours ago, Jim F said:

Feedback appreciated.

Jim

I would be very wary of fitting  a County cam shaft after all the years of tales of woe on this Forum about cam shafts. Moss fell into the trap of supplying regrinds for about 15 years and it was only when they had a consequential damage claim, they then stopped selling re-grinds and went over to Newman cams which are all made from new blanks for TR applications. You are taking a big gamble if you use that County cam? Looking at their web site I see that they do not have any BS approval and that rings alarm bells to me! Chris Whitor may be able to give you more info, as he buys from County?

Bruce.

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Ring them and ask

Peter W

They used to supply rebuilt Healey 100 and 3000 engines for me and they did a great job with them.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

They used to supply rebuilt Healey 100 and 3000 engines for me and they did a great job with them.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart!

I would have to do a vendor assessment of their company before I would use them? As I have had too many examples of poor quality over the last 30 years.

Bruce.

3 hours ago, astontr6 said:

I would be very wary of fitting  a County cam shaft after all the years of tales of woe on this Forum about cam shafts. Moss fell into the trap of supplying regrinds for about 15 years and it was only when they had a consequential damage claim, they then stopped selling re-grinds and went over to Newman cams which are all made from new blanks for TR applications. You are taking a big gamble if you use that County cam? Looking at their web site I see that they do not have any BS approval and that rings alarm bells to me! Chris Whitor may be able to give you more info, as he buys from County?

Bruce.

Chris Witor sells County pistons, and they are good, maybe not as accurately sized as OE but acceptable. His camshafts are made by Kent Cams, who have a good reputation. My 2.5 litre GT6 runs County pistons and a fast road cam, all from Chris Witor and all working well.

Personally, I wouldn't risk fitting a County camshaft, it would be a trip into unknown territory with a critical component.

Nigel

48 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Chris Witor sells County pistons, and they are good, maybe not as accurately sized as OE but acceptable.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

last year or so somebody posted on here a YouTube clip of an American garage owner doing a test with various pistons.

County, AE and another I can't remember the name of.

County came out tops in nearly all the tests. They were the cheapest but still very good.

As for cams I would go for Newman.

Roger

Hi Jim,

I have no experience with County camshafts, but can advise that there has been no issues whatsoever with my Newman cam, which is based on a new blank, with their EN40 steel followers.

This was fitted in 2011, and after 70-80k miles, are hard driving, not had a single issue.  Valve clearances checked biannually, and no change in clearance when checked, either from valve seat recession (hardened seats anyway), or cam lobe troubles.

For the sake of £300 approx for a Newman cam,  you have to ask yourself if it is worth the hassle of an unknown quantity cam.

Buy nice, don't buy twice ?

Cheers.

Peter, I called them a few minutes ago.  All they could tell me is that its likely not reground, its probably chilled iron.   They don't manufacturing the product, its supplied from a variety of source countries...

Jim