Hello folks, has anyone experience of the MR1 car ramps?  Having done much reading on here about raising your car to get easy access to the underside, I've decided that the MR1 seems to be the best solution for me.  I'm not happy with scissor lifts, don't have the access for the tilting lifts, and certainly don't have room for a 2 or 4 post ramp. TTFN, Mike.

I had a look at them a couple of years ago, the chap who produces them is not far from where I live and is very helpful and a real enthusiast.

The ramps are well made and do the job, I didn't go with them in the end mainly because of their size. I would have to store them on the garage floor and park a car on them which is no great hardship but I use the garage for other things which would then involve dragging the ramps in and out

George 

I looked at them a couple of years ago.  As I recall they are quite expensive (circa £1,000) and in the end I went for a pair of hydraulic ramps which I have found to be ideal.  When not in use I store them against the garage wall held back with a couple of elastic ties.  They are easy to put into position and drive on and they give excellent access underneath.

Rgds Ian

1 hour ago, MikeyB1 said:

Hello folks, has anyone experience of the MR1 car ramps?  Having done much reading on here about raising your car to get easy access to the underside, I've decided that the MR1 seems to be the best solution for me.  I'm not happy with scissor lifts, don't have the access for the tilting lifts, and certainly don't have room for a 2 or 4 post ramp. TTFN, Mike.

Never seen these before - what a clever idea.  

Hi Mike

I purchased my MR1 car ramps 4 years ago to service and work under my TR6.

Like you I have limited space and the MR1 ramps are perfect for my needs. They're expensive but my ramps are galvanised and built like a battleship. Most importantly they give me enough clearance to work under the full length of the car from sump to diff comfortably.

Edited by BritishRacingGreen
Updated

I also have a small single garage, thought about mr1 but seemed to big and bulky.

Now thinking about 4 hydraulic ramps and axle stands so as to get all 4 wheels off to do oil change and gearbox topping up ,so car can be level.

that is the plan at the moment.

michael.

My space is limited, so I chose a pair of CJ autos hydraulic ramps (CR012) Mine came from a closing down business on eBay - these are rated for a higher weight than the slightly cheaper CR01’s. 

Introduced more recently are the CR06X (or XHD) which, personally, I would chose today - having 4 would be great, but (unless you get very very lucky) rather expensive.

....... Andy 

I have the CR01 version and they are excellent with the advantage that it is a very simple task to drive onto the ramps raise them and then insert a couple of axle stands to lower back down onto so that you can remove the wheels for whatever reason.

And on the rare occasions when you want the car up on axle stands at all four corners it is pretty easy to put a trolley jack under the back axle.

Rgds Ian

On a similar track I'm planning a new build and going to have a ramp in the garage.

Uncertain as to whether to go for a 2 post or 4 post lift. Witha 4 poster you can park one underneath but need lifting beams and drip catchers.  A 2 poster is less suitable for parking under especially if your TR likes to mark its territory!

I looked at all manner of ramps for a long time before buying the MR1 and I have been very happy with them. Heavy, yes. Easy to use, totally.

No messing about with hydraulic pipes and wondering if the ramp is going to fall down on you. No working your way around hydraulic pipes and ramp mechanisms.

Dave.

Coincidentally I had been looking at the MR1 ramps and have just been in touch with them. It looks like the design/product has been taken over by Sealey and they are re-designing and tooling them at present for re-release "in a few months".

If they are priced sensibly I will probably go for them as they look like a good, simple solution.

Nigel

Thanks for all the replies chaps.

Nigel, as you say, MR1 not selling at present,  As regards cost, try as I might, I couldn't even get a ball-park figure out of them.

Andy and Ian, have looked at hydraulic ramps many times (and may still choose these), however CJ Autos are out of stock of most sizes.  4 would indeed be nice, but if you include carriage, you're looking at around £900.

Martin, I was also going to store the TR on the MR1.  Thanks for the offer of a viewing, may be in touch at a later date.

Currently, I use a very high lift trolley jack and place the car on 4 pillars 17" high, constructed of 4x2 timber.  They're extremely strong and the car is rock steady.  BUT, it takes an age to raise and lower the car, and they take up a large amount of storage space.  I'm now thinking towards constructing my own MR1 style ramp. Would prefer to buy, but it seems that no-one has any stock at present.  I have, luckily, the engineering know-how and it's looking as if I could do so for less than £300.  Still researching.

Thanks again chaps.  Toodle-pip.  Mike.

I have a set of Levo-Artis ramps looking for a new home. They work on a similar principle to the MR1 system and give you 18” clearance underneath. I don’t have any photos but a quick Google will show you. They’re ideal for a small garage and I store them away hanging from the wall. PM me if interested.

Ben

20 minutes ago, MikeyB1 said:

Ben, I've sent a PM (well hopefully I did, never done one before) Mike.

Replied to PM Mike.

15 hours ago, Ben Freer said:

I have a set of Levo-Artis ramps looking for a new home. They work on a similar principle to the MR1 system and give you 18” clearance underneath. I don’t have any photos but a quick Google will show you. They’re ideal for a small garage and I store them away hanging from the wall. PM me if interested.

Ben

If these are still available, I am interested

I have a full height scissor lift and access to 2 different 2-posters. For restoration I would use the scissor every time. Posts are awkward for bodywork, sills, anything requiring doors open etc. I often use blocks or axle stands on top of the scissor for additional clearance but if I could only have 1 lift it would be the scissor. I was also very dubious about scissor lifts before I used one. 

Perfect scenario would be one of the high-end in-ground telescopic 2 posts.